+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

English Passengers by Matthew Kneale

In 1857 Reverend Geoffrey Willosn has chartered a ship to take him to Tasmania. He believes that Tasmania was the original site of the Garden of Eden. He does not know that the ship that he has chartered is actually a Manx smuggling vessel that is fleeing British customs. He also does not know that the aboriginal people of Tasmania have been fighting British invaders for years.
    The novel is told from the point of view of 20 different narrators, from Willson to the captain of the ship to settlers and aboriginals on Tasmania and is both serious and humorous.

I just finished The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. It's not a fast read, or at least it wasn't for me; the characters are so annoying (and frighteningly relatable and real in their insane, selfish behaviour) that I needed to take a break from them every once in a while. Still: a very worthwhile read. I can totally understand the National Book Award win. The Oprah's Bookclub nomination puzzles me a bit though: this is a pretty cynical and darkly funny piece of fiction without the usual Oprah trademark. Franzen's prose is beautiful and often hilariously funny. If you, like me, take a perverse "thank God that's not my family" kind of pleasure in reading about dysfunctional families, middle-age angst and everything that could have been but never was, this is a book for you. It reads a bit like a novel version of American Beauty, except the characters are even more screwed-up and depressed. It's probably not everybody's cup of tea, but I like it. I give it 3,5 stars out of 5.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    So...I finally read The Time Traveler's Wife...and oh my, best book I've read in 2 years at least. You know it's a good book when you're in Vegas and would rather go to the pool or to the room and read read read than gamble...because that's exactly what I did.

Having read it, now I can make my casting pics. I could see Brad Pitt as Henry, but I'm more inclined to choose Matt Damon (his geeky persona, like the gambling agent he played in Ocean's 11). For Gomez, I choose Jude Law...I can't think of any other actor for Gomez...Gomez IS Jude Law in my eyes. For Clare...I'm going to go with one of the non-obvious redheads and choose Molly Ringwald.

What an excellent book...I will read it again, I know.

And...I'm still limping my way through The Shipping News but the good news is I only have about a quarter of it left.

I also read The Future Homemakers Of America by Laurie Graham. Not my usual type of book, but it was ok. Not great, but entertaining enough to read by the pool I guess.

Also have re-read a book called To See You Again. It's about Betty, a young Jewish girl in WWII Hungary who falls in love with her neighbor and best friend. The war separates them, but they've both promised to find each other after the war, which proves impossible. Betty marries someone else, who promises if she finds her first true love, he will let her go. Then 30 years after she marries him, Betty returns to Budapest...and sees "someone" across a crowded room...and by then you are just dying to know what she'll do.

It's a true story and quite fascinating, as well as an easy read.
    I'd cast Kate Winslet as Clare ( she does American well ) and Colin Farrel as Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Do you one better. I'll send you the book.
    Phat, my current plan is to have you send me your entire library.... one book at a time!

I just bought The Rule of Four in a moment of weakness at WalMart. I also (in perhaps a moment of stupidity - time will tell) picked up Cornwell's Trace, which is new in paperback. I go in for paint roller, I come out with books. This is why I'm not allowed in WalMart. At least they sell 'em cheap there.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Phat, my current plan is to have you send me your entire library.... one book at a time!

I'm not sure you'd be interested in my William Gibsons and Neal Stephensons, but you may like my F. Paul Wilsons, Phillip Margolins, Walter Mosleys, Mario Puzos and Jeffrey Deavers. My Scott Turows are just gathering dust, and I wouldn't push anything after Presumed Innocent on my worst enemy.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I just bought The Rule of Four in a moment of weakness at WalMart. I also (in perhaps a moment of stupidity - time will tell) picked up Cornwell's Trace, which is new in paperback. I go in for paint roller, I come out with books. This is why I'm not allowed in WalMart. At least they sell 'em cheap there.
    Critical, Trace is definitely a step up from the disaster that was Blow Fly. Now, I realize that doesn't say much, but it is significally better. Not great, but a decent beach read. The third person switch still bugs me, though. I waited for the paperback for this one, and in the future I'll always avoid buying a Cornwell hardcover. If I can manage. Did you read Blow Fly, by the way?

I also recently bought The Rule of Four and thought I'd bring it along to my vacation in Spain. My hopes aren't exactly high for this one, but I can't focus on anything truly worthwhile in this heat.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Well, fine. I peek in after a day or two and find everyone's discussing my favorite authors!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm reading Rage by Jonathan Kellerman right now. I mentioned I was done with Kellerman in hardcover but (1) it was a gift to me and (2) it's actually pretty good, like early Kellerman.

Any of the other Kellerman fans on this board start this one yet?
    I read it about a month ago, and had to pick up the book to remember what it was about. I'm a fan of both Kellerman and his wife's books. I'll read anything they put out - sometimes it's great, sometimes not as good. Rage was okay but I feel like Alex is drifting a little. I preferred Robin to Allison but it's maddening the way he tries to shield the little woman from his investigations (at least, it is for me.) I'm a big Milo fan, though.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Next up is more Jennifer Weiner with Little Earthquakes.....if only I can find some spare time with my insane work hours this week.
    I loved this one. The woman on the front cover reminds me of Jennifer Aniston. Maybe it's the hair.

just bought The Rule of Four in a moment of weakness at WalMart. I also (in perhaps a moment of stupidity - time will tell) picked up Cornwell's Trace, which is new in paperback.
    I read The Rule of Four last year. It reminded me a little of The Davinci Code. Very entertaining.

I've read all of Patricia Cornwell's books except the one on Jack the Ripper. The Scarpetta series seems to be winding down. I think she's done just about as much with Scarpetta as she can, and it's reflected in the quality (or lack thereof) that's been churned out lately. She's just phoning it in for another buck.

Phat, I'm a big Walter Mosely fan. I've read them all and I always wait impatiently for a new Easy Rawlins adventure. Mosely is probably my favorite mystery writer.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Geek, I just finished The Time Travelers Wife and I LOVED it. It completely grabbed me and sucked me right in and I did not want it to end. It was pretty well written, especially considering how confusing the premise is. Henry and Clare each tell the story in first person with Henry: or Clare: right before they start, so it doesn't get too complicated and their views on their lives as a couple and separately were what made this book for me. I was afraid I would get lost, but even though he's bouncing all over the place, you follow it and it all comes together and is just beautiful. I bought it after seeing on Amazon all the time but not knowing anyone who had read it. I thought it was a risk since I was going by their review and user reviews only, but I'm so glad I did, because I truly loved this book. I found when I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it a lot as there is a lot of stuff that gets thrown at you in this book.
    Last edited by Jamie5632; 07-11-2005 at 02:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Critical, Trace is definitely a step up from the disaster that was Blow Fly. Now, I realize that doesn't say much, but it is significally better. Not great, but a decent beach read. The third person switch still bugs me, though. I waited for the paperback for this one, and in the future I'll always avoid buying a Cornwell hardcover. If I can manage. Did you read Blow Fly, by the way?

I also recently bought The Rule of Four and thought I'd bring it along to my vacation in Spain. My hopes aren't exactly high for this one, but I can't focus on anything truly worthwhile in this heat.
    I did read Blow Fly, although I now don't remember a thing about it! I thought it was okay, as I remember. I haven't loved any of her books for some time. I don't like the change third person narrative at all. Especially since she wrote, what, ten books in first person.

So far, The Rule of Four is pretty good, although not a huge page- turner. I'm only about 80 pages in and it feels like the story is really about to take off. I'll let you know what I think after I'm done.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I am in the middle of Sleeping Beauty by Phillip Margolin. Its basically a murder mystery with lots of twists and turns--a good read.

+ Reply to Thread