+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree253Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    HappyCynic, if you look back through this thread, you'll see several of us love The Eyre Affair and its sequels.

I'm actually reading Fforde's latest, "The Big Over Easy." It's not out till later this month, but I snagged an advance copy.
    Aw Lucy, no fair! How'd you manage to snag a copy, through your job? You'll have to post a recap!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Yes, it's a work thing. A new perk. I'd recap, but I don't want to spoil it. Anyone interested can PM me.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

That Lucy and her snazzy pre-release book-reading. *sigh*

I'm currently reading Main Street . . . I started it a while ago, got busy, forgot where I was, so just started over. Brilliant piece of literature, and nice, easy reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Yes, it's a work thing. A new perk. I'd recap, but I don't want to spoil it. Anyone interested can PM me.
    Lucy, I'm turning green with envy! You definitely need to at least give us a review when you're done (with no spoilage, of course! )

I'm about half way through with A Venetian Affair now, but I'm also reading an anthology called The Kindness of Strangers. It's a collection of stories from all sorts of people about kindnesses they've encountered in their travels. Each story is no more than 5 or 6 pages long (most are less). It's a nice little book to help restore your faith in people.... especially in light of the events in London.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm reading Rage by Jonathan Kellerman right now. I mentioned I was done with Kellerman in hardcover but (1) it was a gift to me and (2) it's actually pretty good, like early Kellerman.

Any of the other Kellerman fans on this board start this one yet?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Lotus and Jamie, let me know how you like The Time Traveller's Wife. I've been meaning to read it quite some time though, so I'll make it my next book purchase. I read the first couple of sample pages on Amazon and was intruiged. It seems like just my kind of book.
    I read a while back and absolutely loved it.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm ashamed to admit it, but I'm reading Rage by Jonathan Kellerman right now. I mentioned I was done with Kellerman in hardcover but (1) it was a gift to me and (2) it's actually pretty good, like early Kellerman.

Any of the other Kellerman fans on this board start this one yet?
    I stay away from Kellerman in hardcover, Phat. His are such a quick read that I can't justify spending that amount of money. I usually wait until they come out in paperback - even then, $8 is a lot.

Please give a review when you're done!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm a totally on and off again reader, but I've been on a streak after ripping through the first two Jennifer Weiner books and re-reading 2 Anne Rice books in the past week or so. (the evil treadmill thing will do that to ya cause I have to find a distraction when I'm walking so I just read like a maniac)

This weeks easy reading so far was My Horizontal Life (a collection of one-night stands) by Chelsea Handler. Really fun and quick read, perfect for when you only have a few moments at a time cause they are all short story type recounts of odd situations.

Next up is more Jennifer Weiner with Little Earthquakes.....if only I can find some spare time with my insane work hours this week.

Rereading Antamoy of a Murder by Robert Travers for the first time since high school. I'm enjoying it much more then I did in high school.

When I'm done with that I have Southern Fried Divorce to read. A friend said I may like it.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I stay away from Kellerman in hardcover, Phat. His are such a quick read that I can't justify spending that amount of money. I usually wait until they come out in paperback - even then, $8 is a lot.

Please give a review when you're done!
    Do you one better. I'll send you the book.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread