+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm reading Middlesex, and so far love it. I have a friend who is an xy woman, because she has AIS syndrome, so she was born a girl, and then when puberty hit, they found what they though was a hernia, but was actually two undescended testicles. Her parents hid the truth from her for years, and she finally discovered it on the internet and confronted her doctor, who also hid it from her. So really, she is a man, but identify's as an xy woman. It's a different syndrome than the main character in Middle Sex though, but similar.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    !!!!!! And how did I miss it?!? I love the book and the movie (everytime I watch the movie I cry buckets when Bonny dies ).

I think women in general relate well to Scarlett, but the character of Melanie is way under-rated. Don't forget she dragged herself from her sickbed and shot the Yankee soldier before he could attack Scarlett. Come to think of it, many of the GWTH women were pretty tough customers - I think women love the story for the strong female characters as much, if not more, than for the romantic Scarlett-Ashley-Rhett love triangle.
    I loved the book, the real love story was between Scarlett and Melanie, which Scarlett finally realizes when Melanie dies!

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Well, with the end of term (and beginning of my summer job - ah, the joys of being a penniless student) and all, I finally started reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. It sure is a hefty read - close to 900 dense pages - but about a hundred pages in, I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy this one. The immense detail sometimes bothers me, but it is both touching and intruiging, and well-written at that. According to the back cover, Lamb is currently working on his third novel. Given that my copy was printed back in '98, that novel should be out fairly soon. I'll definitely pick it up if it's anything like this one or She's Come Undone. I love long, engaging Novels with a capital N.

Oh, and I just put Running With Scissors on my Amazon wish list - what an absolutely delightful description, along with James Frey's new memoir, My Friend Leonard. In case anyone's read Frey's first book, A Million Little Pieces, it's the same Leonard.

A friend of mine just recommended me The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Any fellow FORTers who have read it and can either recommend or steer me away?
    It's worth reading, he goes in to territory few writers dare to tread.

Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I'm reading Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers, by Mary Roach
    I started this last night. So far (100 pages or so in) I'm just loving it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotuslander
    I'm reading Middlesex, and so far love it. I have a friend who is an xy woman, because she has AIS syndrome, so she was born a girl, and then when puberty hit, they found what they though was a hernia, but was actually two undescended testicles. Her parents hid the truth from her for years, and she finally discovered it on the internet and confronted her doctor, who also hid it from her. So really, she is a man, but identify's as an xy woman. It's a different syndrome than the main character in Middle Sex though, but similar.
    Lotuslander, I read Middlesex about a year ago and enjoyed it immensely. In fact, I'd say it was one of the best things I read all year, and I read a lot. Such a well-written novel on such an interesting topic, and I loved the epic feel of it. If you want to read more of the same author, I'd recommend his debut novel The Virgin Suicides. It was made into a great movie by Sofia Coppola starring Kirsten Dunst, and the book is very good as well. I saw the movie first though, which probably ruined the reading experience a bit.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I'm about 150 pages into A Venetian Affair by Andrea Di Robilant. It's the story of a forbidden love affair in 18th century Venice. The author's father found a stash of love letters in their family's ancestral home in Italy. He eventually did more research and found more letters in other locations. The book is the story of their love affair. It reads so much like a novel that I have to remind myself that it's true.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Just finished I know This Much is True by Wally Lamb and have started The Hobbit, a much smaller book, to my delight. I can't wait to get into the Lord of the Rings series!
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    The Hobbit's really good. I read it in sixth grade for a book report and did a diorama on it. I had to read it a few times to fully understand it, being the slow person that I am, but once I understood it, I liked it.

Now I'm reading The Adventures of Ulysses. The school assigned it for summer reading because we're going to spend a semester in English class reading The Odyssey. So far, it's pretty good and some of it's really interesting.

I just finished The Da Vinci Code. I know I'm way behind in my reading. I tried to find the thread for it but I couldn't find it. I would love to read what everyone else thought of it.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf
    I just finished The Da Vinci Code. I know I'm way behind in my reading. I tried to find the thread for it but I couldn't find it. I would love to read what everyone else thought of it.
    I am about 3/4 of the way through Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (sort of his prequel to Da Vinci). It's okay. Same gripes with this one I had about Da Vinci: improbable and unrealistic. But oh well, kept me busy on the beach during vaction.

I'm also about 1/4 of the way through The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. Loving it so far. That man could use words with such amazing finesse and power. Looking forward to continuing it.

+ Reply to Thread