+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    Summer Sisters...ahh, love it. I read it every single summer by the pool at least once. Blume's best work, in my opinion. Victoria's college roommate is correct - there's a Caitlin in every junior high. Maybe that's the catch - the ability to relate to the characters from a real-life perspective. I don't know. In any case, it's one of my favorite books of all time, even though it might not be a great literary work.

I love that book, as well!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Whee! I've been flying through the books this weekend!

I finished Mystic River earlier today () and started re-reading the first Harry Potter book. I'll probably finish that one tomorrow. I want to re-read the whole HP series before the sixth book comes out next month. I figure I can just blow through all five in the next week or so - they are such quick reads.

Quote Originally Posted by G.G.
    I find that women write more believable sex, but for me, that's easily attributed to the fact the most women know their own bodies better than a man would and can therefore put those desires into words better than a man. I'm not meaning it to sound sexist or male-bashing at all, so I hope it's not taken that way.

That said, some (former) romance writers "do sex" well, while I find that others never get past the mushy-gushy, lovey-dovey romance-y crap-ola. Let's face it, it's a multi-faceted subject - sometimes funny, passionate, cruel, healing, enlightening, boring...it all depends on the moment, no? Then again, there are the others never move beyond the animalistic perception that all women want to be "taken". Harlequin Romance, anyone?

I hope this reply doesn't go beyond the constraints of PG-13, but I think it would be an interesting subject to discuss.
    That's my theory too, G.G.. I don't read romance novels so I don't ever see the really mushy stuff. I do read thrillers/mysteries and I find that the male writers tend to just gloss over those scenes with little or no detail. I guess if I wanted LOTS of details I could be reading another sort of book

I will also say that Jane Green (more chic lit than romance) is quite good at er.... realistic and very steamy sex scenes that also manage to be humorous at times.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Reading the Life of Pi. I'm finding it interesting. My 13 year old is dying to read it when I'm done based merely on the cover of the life boat with the tiger and the boy.

Also blew through Forest Gump this weekend, found it interesting. Quick read. Different then the movie but in some ways the same. I liked both but neither is my best ever.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

can't get enough ANTM guillermoluvsme's Avatar
    "Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia" by Marya Hornbacher.

It is actually very good and I have learned a lot of things I never knew about eating disorders.

The Princess and the Pirates by John Maddox Roberts
    Volume IX of his SPQR series

I am addicted to all things about ancient Rome.

John Maddox Roberts in an interesting author, in that he writes science fiction, fantasy, historical fiction and alternate history.

Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner Nice light fare, but I was so entrenched in the characters and they had me so engaged that I was actually in tears in a couple of parts. Started that one last night and finished this afternoon. Now I'm into another of her books In Her Shoes and about 1/3 of the way in I'm really enjoying this one as well. I'm really glad I went with my gut and got both of these books at the same time, heck, I'll be going back for her other book Little Earthquakes probably tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner Nice light fare, but I was so entrenched in the characters and they had me so engaged that I was actually in tears in a couple of parts. Started that one last night and finished this afternoon. Now I'm into another of her books In Her Shoes and about 1/3 of the way in I'm really enjoying this one as well. I'm really glad I went with my gut and got both of these books at the same time, heck, I'll be going back for her other book Little Earthquakes probably tomorrow.
    LOVE Jennifer Weiner, libs! Her books are the perfect summer read.

I'm still on my full sprint back through the Harry Potter books. I slowed down a bit last week because I was out of town and then sick (and not the kind of sick where you can read either ). I'm about 100 pages from finishing Harry Potter 4 and will probably get that done tonight. I'll finish 5 this week and be more than ready for the release of the next one. I'm amazed at how much I've forgotten from the books - I haven't any of them since they were first released.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm also a fan of Jennifer Weiner's books. They're lighthearted and fun, but as libra1022 points out, Weiner also manages to create characters that feel real and engaging. I've read Good In Bed and In Her Shoes (when is the movie starring Cameron Diaz and Toni Collette coming out?) and have been wanting to read Little Earthquakes for a while now. I'll look for it in the library this afternoon.

As for me, I just finished another lighthearted but fun read, Sundowners by Lesley Lokko. It's a coming-of-age novel of sorts, but a really glamorous one with echoes of both chick lit and more racy authors like Judith Krantz and Jackie Collins. Don't let the Krantz/Collins comparisons scare you off though; it's fairly well-written. It also has an interesting sub-plot concerning apartheid and South Africa politics in the late 80s and early 90s. Apparently, the author grew up in Ghana but has spent time in the U.S., England and South Africa - all significant settings for the novel. If you're looking for a fun beach read that's nevertheless somewhat substantial, I'd recommend this one. I also recently read Social Crimes by Jane Stanton Hitchcock, a pretty decent and captivating thriller set in New York's high society.

As for what I'm reading right now, I'm about a hundred pages into The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James. Not a lighthearted read (surprise, surprise) but an incredibly well-written and engaging one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

this month I've read
    Les MisÚrables, Pride and Prejudice, Jane Eyre, catcher in the rye and now I'm reading the 5th book of a fantasay series by Elizabeth Haydon called The Symphony of Ages
    I love love love books...

Sweet Thames by Matthew Kneale

It's London in the summer of 1849 and a cholera epidemic is threatening. Joshua Jeavons is a young engineer, with a mission to reform London's sewers. After an argument his wife disappears. Jeavons explores parts of London previously unknown to him in his search for his wife (eg the slums of London).

+ Reply to Thread