+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Now I DEFINITELY want to read it, just to see if it will have the same impact on me. Any book that can provoke feelings that strong has to have something. In fact, I bought it this morning, along with a bunch of other paperbacks I thought would make a nice addition to my vacation when it (finally!) comes. The price was really good as well. Too late for any regrets now... Also, the friend who recommended it to me usually has impeccable taste (that is, same taste as me ) so I'll definitely give it a shot. Thanks for the input though.
    I'm thinking I got dissed by LAH, but I read it inspite of it being on Oprah's show (actually I read it because I reconized the title at a used book sale and thought it was worth $3, I was wrong)

I was hoping to find my post about it but it seems like too much work. I will say this, normally in a book I find a someone I like or can relate to or have a glimmer of a good feeling about. Couldn't do it in this book at all. I was going to give it up half way through (which for me almost never happens) but I plowed through it. There also was little in the plot or storyline I could get into. By the end, I was hoping for a massive death scene I was so annoyed with the whole crowd, it seemed like that was the only correction that would have made the whole thing right. It has replaced my prevous other disliked book (Breathing Lessons) which I hated for the same reason.

The only other person I know who read it was a woman at work, who stopped reading it because it reminded her of work and for her that was the kiss of death. (we're social workers) You may like it, but I honestly can say I didn't.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Loaded by Shari Shattuck

I don't usually read this type of novel (the lives of the rich and beautiful are so hard) but I've always kind of liked Shari Shattuck as an actress so I was curious about what kind of book she would write. It's actually not too bad, and the main character does have a sense of humour. Since she lists one of her favourite writers as P. G. Wodehouse, she must have good sense of humour herself even if she doesn't write like him
    Last edited by William13; 06-12-2005 at 01:24 PM.

I just finished reading "Savannah Blues" and "Hissy Fit" by Mary Kay Andrews, aka Cathy Hogan Trocheck. Under her true name (Trocheck) she also wrote the Callahan Garrity mystery series, which I have not read.

Hissy Fit and Savannah Blues were so good I went out and found "Little Bitty Lies". Anyone else here read any of her books?

Real life is so complicated and can be very stressful, so I like to totally unwind with a funny story that intertwines a little mystery, a little romance, antiques and regional references of places I have actually been to and can picture in my mind as I read her stories.
    I enjoy the escapism of reality television. Beats the heck out of worrying about your REAL life!!

I'm reading David Wiltse Into the Fire - never read him before, it's okay so far.

Anyone heard of him, like this author?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by MICHEY
    I'm reading David Wiltse Into the Fire - never read him before, it's okay so far.

Anyone heard of him, like this author?
    I've read Into the Fire, but it was a long time ago. I went through a phase where I enjoyed the "FBI mystery" kind of book, but it's been awhile since I've picked one up.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Into the Fire was okay, now I'm reading I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. I know it's an Oprah Bookclub book but the few people I know read it said it was good so I figure I'll tackle it...it's longggggggggg, for me.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

gods in Alabama by Joshilyn Jackson
    Whenever you see darkness, there is extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter.
    -Bono

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    !!!!!! And how did I miss it?!? I love the book and the movie (everytime I watch the movie I cry buckets when Bonny dies ).

What did you think of the book, "Scarlet" and the movie, "Scarlet"?
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Hated, hated, hated them both. Should never have been attempted. Margaret Mitchell must have been doing backflips in her grave.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm about to finish Francine Prose's The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired. The book deals with the sometimes symbiotic, sometimes parasitic, sometimes just plain bizarre relationships between nine "artists" (writers, painters, musicians, etc.) and the women who inspired them. I wasn't sure what to expect because frankly, I had never heard of a few of the women - notably, Lou Andres-Salome (who inspired Nietzsche, Rilke and Freud) and Charis Weston, wife of photographer, Edward Weston - but all of the stories are so compelling. I'd read Prose's novel, Bigfoot Dreams and enjoyed it, but I wasn't sure what to expect here. She has a nice, natural and sometimes irreverant voice Didn't mean to ramble on there people. Just thought I'd give a little review in case anyone might be interested in the book

Tomorrow, I plan on starting Michael Connelly's The Closers. Then I can venture into Phat's thread about the book with no fear of spoilers!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

+ Reply to Thread