+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I liked, but didn't love, the film. I've never read the book. I think, though, that all Southern women have , and that it forms part of the basis for their self-identity. Most women, I think, think of this as the South. It's the idealized Old South. The real South today is NASCAR, barbecue, Super Wal-Mart, bait shops and Krispy Kreme.

But there are beautiful things, too. Like the hospitality and honesty and work ethic of the people. And some of the natural scenery is unbelievable.
    You mean, "Fiddle dee dee" isnt said anymore?!!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I liked, but didn't love, the film. I've never read the book. I think, though, that all Southern women have , and that it forms part of the basis for their self-identity. Most women, I think, think of this as the South. It's the idealized Old South. The real South today is NASCAR, barbecue, Super Wal-Mart, bait shops and Krispy Kreme.

How did I miss a conversation about "Gone With the Wind"?!

I first read the book in 8th grade, and I loved it and moped around for a week afterwards because Rhett left her. My parents bought me a copy -- after I'd read it -- for Christmas, but the binding fell off almost immediately, which has always saddened me because my dad had written an inscription on the inside, and we didn't keep it.

I love the movie, too. Phat, I think if Southern women identify with this book, it's more with Scarlett's spine-of-steel resiliency.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I am, of course, reading the new Dean Koontz book, "Velocity".

Interesting premise. On the back cover of the book, there is a photo of a note. The note says "If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher somewhere in Napa County. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours."

And, that's pretty much the premise of the first part of the book.

Balllllooooooooon!!!!! MrsMarcusWelby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    I am, of course, reading the new Dean Koontz book, "Velocity".

Interesting premise. On the back cover of the book, there is a photo of a note. The note says "If you don't take this note to the police and get them involved, I will kill a lovely blond schoolteacher somewhere in Napa County. If you do take this note to the police, I will instead kill an elderly woman active in charity work. You have six hours to decide. The choice is yours."

And, that's pretty much the premise of the first part of the book.
    Damn, another book to add to the must read list...

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood_Barbi
    I am reading a book called
    anybody but him
    By Katherine Oflanagan
    My Mom gave it to me and I am just starting to get into it.
    I got the name wrong...duh it is Sheila O'Flanagan and the book is Anyone But Him.Don't know what I was thinking.

Well, with the end of term (and beginning of my summer job - ah, the joys of being a penniless student) and all, I finally started reading I Know This Much Is True by Wally Lamb. It sure is a hefty read - close to 900 dense pages - but about a hundred pages in, I'm fairly confident I'll enjoy this one. The immense detail sometimes bothers me, but it is both touching and intruiging, and well-written at that. According to the back cover, Lamb is currently working on his third novel. Given that my copy was printed back in '98, that novel should be out fairly soon. I'll definitely pick it up if it's anything like this one or She's Come Undone. I love long, engaging Novels with a capital N.

Oh, and I just put Running With Scissors on my Amazon wish list - what an absolutely delightful description, along with James Frey's new memoir, My Friend Leonard. In case anyone's read Frey's first book, A Million Little Pieces, it's the same Leonard.

A friend of mine just recommended me The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Any fellow FORTers who have read it and can either recommend or steer me away?
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Well, Geek, The Corrections was on Oprah's Book Club list, if that means anything to you.

Has anyone read Band of Brothers?? This book is really good! I'm not to far along, but they are about to drop into France for their first live action, and man, I was crying just reading about the sacrifices made and the honor those guys had. They have some of the letters that the soldiers wrote home right before going in, and they are just amazing.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Well, Geek, The Corrections was on Oprah's Book Club list, if that means anything to you.
    If I remember correctly, Franzen was not happy that Oprah picked his book for her book club. Probably because of all the overly melodramatic cr@p she had picked previously.

Geek - I have The Corrections, but I haven't read it yet. I've picked it up a few times and read maybe five pages, but it just didn't hook me in. I guess I have to be in the right mindset to get into it.

I just finished Strapless last night and I have to say: So good that I could hardly put it down! Davis has a nice writing style and the story is so well researched. I'd highly recommend it for anyone interested in art history. I'm now reading Francine Prose's The Lives of the Muses: Nine Women and the Artists They Inspired. The book covers women like Alice Liddell (who inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland) to Yoko Ono, to Suzanne Farrell, who was George Balanchine's muse. Next, I'll probably read Courtesans: Money, Sex and Fame in the Nineteenth Century by Katie Hickman. I guess I've got a little theme going here.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

FORT Fan
    I just finished reading Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unforyunate Events (The Bad BEginning), I have not watched the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    A friend of mine just recommended me The Corrections by Jonathan Franzen. Any fellow FORTers who have read it and can either recommend or steer me away?
    I read it and thought it was the worst book I have ever read. If I recall correctly I kept reading it hoping everyone would die in the end. It was a nasty joyless read.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

+ Reply to Thread