+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree244Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat32
    I have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn queued up and ready to go. I've been re-reading passages from The Time Traveler's Wife.
    Phat, I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I hope you enjoy.

I have been meaning to real The Time Traveler's Wife. I assume you like it and that is why you are re-reading it?

I just started reading "Band of Brothers" by Stephen Ambrose(? right?). So far it is a very easy read, and I am really enjoying it. I did start to watch the HBO mini-series about this book a long time ago, but never really got deep into it. A friend of mine lent me the book, and I can't wait to finish it, and then re-visit the tv episodes.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    You'll have to let me know how that is mrdob. I love war fiction as long as it doesn't get too technical with troop movements and firepower comparisons.

So far, it's nothing like that. Although, they do talk about where they moved to with each move, and the conditions there etc. But more in the way of "this is how and why they were such good comrades, good soldiers, etc"
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I remember hearing that was really good, but I'd forgotten about it. Let me know if you like it.
    I just finished Running With Scissors last night, Lucy. Definitely The description above is right on: Sedaris writing The Hotel New Hampshire. At times, it is just so absurd that you can hardly believe it's true. I found myself laughing at parts that I immediately felt guilty over laughing about!

Last night, I started Strapless: John Singer Sargent and the Fall of Madame X by Deborah Davis. Here's the write up on Amazon:
    The subject of John Singer Sargent's most famous painting was twenty-three-year-old New Orleans Creole Virginie Gautreau, who moved to Paris and quickly became the "it girl" of her day. A relative unknown at the time, Sargent won the commission to paint her; the two must have recognized in each other a like-minded hunger for fame.

Unveiled at the 1884 Paris Salon, Gautreau's portrait generated the attention she craved-but it led to infamy rather than stardom. Sargent had painted one strap of Gautreau's dress dangling from her shoulder, suggesting either the prelude to or the aftermath of sex. Her reputation irreparably damaged, Gautreau retired from public life, destroying all the mirrors in her home.

Drawing on documents from private collections and other previously unexamined materials, and featuring a cast of characters including Oscar Wilde and Richard Wagner, Strapless is a tale of art and celebrity, obsession and betrayal.
    I've always loved Sargent and I find these little "back stories" so intriguing.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Lost Christianities - The Battles for Scripture and the Faiths We Never Knew
    by Bart D. Ehrman

Although I am not a religious person I find the history of early Christian writing and discussion of orthodoxy and heresy endlessly fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn queued up and ready to go. I've been re-reading passages from The Time Traveler's Wife.
    A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is on my "all -time top 10 favorite" booklist. Well, it would be if I actually sat down and made one up. Of course, I read it when I was young and impressionable. I loved the Irish immigrant theme and I still cry when I read certain passages. I hope you like it, phat. I tried The Time Traveler's Wife, but I couldn't get into it.

I've been on a reading kick lately. I finished all the Dennis Lehane paperbacks I had, and then rushed through the new Alexander McCall Smith book In the Company of Cheerful Ladies. It's the latest in the Mma Ramotswe Lady Detective series, and it was just as charming as the rest of them.

I also read a new one by first time author Kristen Gore. You may know her better as the 2000 election's almost president's daughter. She was a writer on the Futurama television series but this is her first book, and it combined elements of chick lit and politics. Sounds weird, but it was very interesting and well written, especially if you like politics (and chick-lit). I'm hooked. I can't wait until her second book!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I am reading a book called
    anybody but him
    By Katherine Oflanagan
    My Mom gave it to me and I am just starting to get into it.

I'm reading the DiVinci Code. I'm reading it about 2 years after everyone else but I was finally able to get it from the liberary.

So far, so very good. I'm finding it very interesting and plan to dig through the thread on it when I'm further into the book.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    How I love that story, I must have read it 4 or 5 times. Such a good book with a timeless theme. I may dig up a copy for myself.
    I have read it too, at least 5 or 6 times. It is so full of rich description. I love the way Mitchell describes things!
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

+ Reply to Thread