+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Phat - quit spoilin' the manuals dude. The real cliffhanger with those is what chapter will finally put me to sleep! I had a boss who read them for fun. He was "special." Yeah, ITA about the career in IT - I wasn't feeling all that rewarded either.

I finished Biely's St. Petersburg tonight and started Augusten Burrough's Running With Scissors. I'm barely 10 pages in, but I know I'll probably finish it in the next day or so. One of the reviews on the back cover says it reads like Sedaris writing The Hotel New Hampshire, which is as apt description as I could hope to find.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm going to interject a love for all things romantic and cheesy into y'all's reading.

For another wonderful beach-read... I highly recommend "Black Rose" by Nora Roberts. Second in her In the Garden series. Very satisfying for those looking for a little mystery and ghosts wrapped up amongst their romance.

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I ... started Augusten Burrough's Running With Scissors. I'm barely 10 pages in, but I know I'll probably finish it in the next day or so. One of the reviews on the back cover says it reads like Sedaris writing The Hotel New Hampshire, which is as apt description as I could hope to find.
    I remember hearing that was really good, but I'd forgotten about it. Let me know if you like it.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    I finished Liar's Game today and I'm starting..

Dutch II Angel's Revenge- Terri Woods
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Quote Originally Posted by Broadway
    I'm going to interject a love for all things romantic and cheesy into y'all's reading.
    Oh, please do! Some crazy person was boring the rest of us with all this talk of textbooks...

I can top you on the cheese though- I haven't read a romance in a while, but I usually stick with what I call the "two hour romances" by Harlequin or other mass-romance producers. I always thought I should at least try a Danielle Steele or Nora Roberts type book, but the size... I like the ones that are easy to hold during a nice long soak in the tub and who cares if it gets splashed.

I dusted off my old copy of "Gone with the Wind" with the torn off cover and am rereading it again. With all this heat, I feel that I am in Georgia.
    "Pluck not the wayside flower..." William Allingham

Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl
    I dusted off my old copy of "Gone with the Wind" with the torn off cover and am rereading it again. With all this heat, I feel that I am in Georgia.
    How I love that story, I must have read it 4 or 5 times. Such a good book with a timeless theme. I may dig up a copy for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondieGirl
    How I love that story, I must have read it 4 or 5 times. Such a good book with a timeless theme. I may dig up a copy for myself.
    I liked, but didn't love, the film. I've never read the book. I think, though, that all Southern women have , and that it forms part of the basis for their self-identity. Most women, I think, think of this as the South. It's the idealized Old South. The real South today is NASCAR, barbecue, Super Wal-Mart, bait shops and Krispy Kreme.

But there are beautiful things, too. Like the hospitality and honesty and work ethic of the people. And some of the natural scenery is unbelievable.

I have A Tree Grows in Brooklyn queued up and ready to go. I've been re-reading passages from The Time Traveler's Wife.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Currently reading:

Six Wives - The Queens of King Henry VIII by David Starkey

I saw the special on PBS earlier this year, and really got interested on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesboi
    Currently reading:

Six Wives - The Queens of King Henry VIII by David Starkey

I saw the special on PBS earlier this year, and really got interested on the subject.
    I'd forgotten about that one, bluesboi, and now it's back on my list.

As for history, I've been working on John Adams, His Excellency: George Washington and Band of Brothers on and off.

And I'm a sucker for military history.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread