+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Dinahann, I read The Secret Life of Bees about a month ago and absolutely loved it. I got it over a year ago and for some inexplicable reason, it had been gathering dust on the shelf ever since. So stupid of me; it was an excellent read. Can't wait to read her brand new effort, The Mermaid Chair.
    I didn't know she had a new one out already. Cool, I'll have to look for it.

Phat and Critical, I'm in the middle of Lehane's Sacred right now. It's not holding my interest as much as Mystic River did, but it's better than nothing and I didn't make it to the library this week. I think I've said before that my mom-in-law ships me these huge cartons of books every once in awhile, but since we don't have the same taste they moulder in the back of the closet until I'm desperate.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I didn't know she had a new one out already. Cool, I'll have to look for it.

Phat and Critical, I'm in the middle of Lehane's Sacred right now. It's not holding my interest as much as Mystic River did, but it's better than nothing and I didn't make it to the library this week. I think I've said before that my mom-in-law ships me these huge cartons of books every once in awhile, but since we don't have the same taste they moulder in the back of the closet until I'm desperate.
    So it's a three-way Lehane psychic connection (I could've used Unk's "leering" smiley right there!). I just finished my Lehane this afternoon. You're right Phat - he starts out a little slow, but once he gets into it, the story just flies. I finished the last 200+ pages in one sitting.

I'm now about 50 pages into Andrey Biely's St. Petersburg, which is a sort of dark comedy set in pre-revolutionary Russia (1905). The plot set up is this: A father and son - the father is a tsarist official and the son is a budding revolutionary who is ordered to kill, you guessed it, a tsarist official. The writing is very good - entertaining storyline, amusing characters, interesting plot twists, etc. It's apparrently a good translation, which can really make the difference. So far:
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I have three I'm reading at the moment -- all biographies, which are my favorite things to read at any time

Currently:

Michael Jackson: The Music and The Madness; by J. Randy Taraborrelli -- I got this one from the library to read, due to my current interest in the Michael Jackson trial.

The House of Gucci; by Sara Gay Forden -- "The startling and dramatic true story behind the murder of Maurizio Gucci, and the rise, fall, and rise again of the Gucci dynasty." So far, a very well written book about the Gucci family and high fashion, high finance, and personal tragedy.

Fortune's Children; by Arthur I. Vanderbilt -- about the Vanderbilt dynasty beginning with the Commodore through present day, written by one of the Vanderbilt descendants. The Vanderbilt family has long been a subject of interest for me, I've read about 20 or so biographies and autobiographies of this family.
    I live in my own world. But it's ok, they know me there.
    Kid Nation... a sad day for society when the exploitation of children becomes acceptable entertainment for television viewers.
    "Online communities, like the Fort, are very snarky and borderline cynical when it comes to celebrities and their shenanigans." -- Leo, FoRT Writer

I'm reading Summer Sisters by Judy Blume. I'm a little surprised I enjoy it, it's been a long time since I've read any of her books...still remember the girls gathered in a corner whispering about Forever.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    So it's a three-way Lehane psychic connection (I could've used Unk's "leering" smiley right there!).
    Bow-chicka-wow-wow...

I just finished my Lehane this afternoon. You're right Phat...
    ...and this is news, how? Kidding, kidding...

- he starts out a little slow, but once he gets into it, the story just flies. I finished the last 200+ pages in one sitting.
    Ayuh. I breezed through the last half of Shutter Island in one sitting once it started to pick up.

With Lehane, you've got a lot of throat-clearing to tolerate until he gets into it; Boston this, Boston that*, you have to hear about every neighborhood in Boston until he finally gets to the meat of the story.

(*No offense, JR and Pomeraniac. )
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I am reading... Object-Oriented & Classical Software Engineering by Stephen Schach. It's an absolute must-read. I have to be careful not to read it too close to bedtime or wouldn't be able to put it down.

Okay, okay, I don't have time for pleasure reading and I got jealous reading this thread. I think the last "real" book I read was the Ted Dekker Black/White/Red series, which was good, but not as good as his book Three. Very suspenseful.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferInCO
    I am reading... Object-Oriented & Classical Software Engineering by Stephen Schach. It's an absolute must-read. I have to be careful not to read it too close to bedtime or wouldn't be able to put it down.
    Yeah, I'm going to ruin the ending on that one for you: It's Col. Mustard in the Library with a candlestick.

(Well, actually, no, but the actual ending is a career in IT that is not as rewarding as late-night TV informercials would have you believe. )

Okay, okay, I don't have time for pleasure reading and I got jealous reading this thread. I think the last "real" book I read was the Ted Dekker Black/White/Red series, which was good, but not as good as his book Three. Very suspenseful.
    Mystery? Suspense? Horror? Other?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Yeah, I'm going to ruin the ending on that one for you: It's Col. Mustard in the Library with a candlestick.

(Well, actually, no, but the actual ending is a career in IT that is not as rewarding as late-night TV informercials would have you believe. )
    Darn you! Use spoiler tags if you're going to do that to me! But on the bright side, I no longer need to read the book since I know the ending, right? Right?

Mystery? Suspense? Horror? Other?
    Mystery and suspense on Three. I wouldn't go so far as to classify it as horror. I would highly recommend it, but the trilogy is probably not one I would recommend in general.

With Lehane, you've got a lot of throat-clearing to tolerate until he gets into it; Boston this, Boston that*, you have to hear about every neighborhood in Boston until he finally gets to the meat of the story.
    Ahem, I've changed my opinion of Lehane somewhat. I finished Sacred and decided it was fairly enjoyable so I'm now reading Prayers for Rain, with Darkness, Take my Hand to follow. Goody for me that I didn't realize these books were all a continuation of the same Kenzie/Gennaro characters, and I'm reading them bass-ackwards.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

De vinci code was great! Cant wait for the flick!
    I just finished "Suzannes Dairy for Nicholas" by James patterson ( I heard theres a made for tv movie? not sure, but WOW what a great book!) And now I have started reading "Einsteins Daughter The Search for Lieserl"....

+ Reply to Thread