+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I'm catching up on some light reading . . . Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.

Also, I just received Chopin's Funeral, by Benita Eisler, as a gift, and I'm looking forward to cracking that one open.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantenna
    I'm catching up on some light reading . . . Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment.
    Outstanding! My favorite "classic" novel of all time. We'll tawk about it when you're done.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Liar's Game- Eric Jerome Dickey
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

I just finished Monica Ali's Brick Lane this morning It always blows me away when someone's first novel is just so good. Slightly intimidating for anyone who's had thoughts of being a writer, you know?

I'll probably do something easy and un-demanding next. I've got a Dennis Lehane mystery standing by (can't remember the title at the moment). I'm contemplating a run at Barbara Tuchman's A Distant Mirror after that.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Funny you should mention Lehane, Critical, as I was just posting to mention that I'm still working my way through Darkness, Take My Hand, but it's just picked up pace. I haven't read an inordinate amount of Lehane's books, but of the ones that I have, he may take a while to clear his throat and get moving, but when he does, watch out.

With respect to gruesome and chilling, he gives Thomas Harris, Jeffrey Deaver or Jonathan Kellerman a run for their money.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Glad you liked Brick Lane, Critical . It really is a terrific first novel, isn't it?

Dinahann, I read The Secret Life of Bees about a month ago and absolutely loved it. I got it over a year ago and for some inexplicable reason, it had been gathering dust on the shelf ever since. So stupid of me; it was an excellent read. Can't wait to read her brand new effort, The Mermaid Chair.

As for me, I just finished The Innocent, the new stand-alone thriller by Harlan Coben. Another excellently paced and plotted page turner from Mr Coben, and there's a funny Bill Clinton/Harlan Coben in-joke thrown in for those of you who pay close attention.

I'm one essay away from summer holidays, and my main priority will be to read, read, read. I've already decided to read up on Michael Connelly, but I'll also catch up on the latest efforts from geek the girl faves such as Haruki Murakami, Alice Hoffman, Kathryn Harrison, Joyce Carol Oates (when DOESN'T she have a new novel/novelette/children's novel/novel of suspense coming out?) and Kazuo Ishiguro. Among others... I'll probably create a "What's on your summer reading list?" thread soon.

Speaking of Dennis Lehane: When will he release something new? I adore his stand-alones (Mystic River and Shutter Island); his Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro series, not so much for some reason) and can't wait for a new one.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    Glad you liked Brick Lane, Critical . It really is a terrific first novel, isn't it?

Dinahann, I read The Secret Life of Bees about a month ago and absolutely loved it. I got it over a year ago and for some inexplicable reason, it had been gathering dust on the shelf ever since. So stupid of me; it was an excellent read. Can't wait to read her brand new effort, The Mermaid Chair.

As for me, I just finished The Innocent, the new stand-alone thriller by Harlan Coben. Another excellently paced and plotted page turner from Mr Coben, and there's a funny Bill Clinton/Harlan Coben in-joke thrown in for those of you who pay close attention.

I'm one essay away from summer holidays, and my main priority will be to read, read, read. I've already decided to read up on Michael Connelly, but I'll also catch up on the latest efforts from geek the girl faves such as Haruki Murakami, Alice Hoffman, Kathryn Harrison, Joyce Carol Oates (when DOESN'T she have a new novel/novelette/children's novel/novel of suspense coming out?) and Kazuo Ishiguro. Among others... I'll probably create a "What's on your summer reading list?" thread soon.

Speaking of Dennis Lehane: When will he release something new? I adore his stand-alones (Mystic River and Shutter Island); his Patrick Kenzie/Angela Gennaro series, not so much for some reason) and can't wait for a new one.
    I felt the same way about Brick Lane as I did about The Namesake - I wanted to take my time and not skip one word. Neither book had wild plot twists or a huge amount of action, but the writing was just so simple and elegant that I got pulled into the story.

I'll be looking out for the "summer reading list" thread!

Re: Lehane - The one I'm reading is A Drink Before the War, which I think is the first in the Kenzie/Gennaro series. My mother sent it to me and frankly, that's probably the only reason I'm reading it. I'll probably finish it tomorrow. I have Mystic River sitting on a shelf and I just haven't been able to bring myself to read it. I saw the movie not long ago, so I think I should wait to read the book until the film is not so fresh in my mind.

Phat - We're both reading Lehane! It's like a psychic connection! A bibliophilic psychic connection

I read The Secret Life of Bees a while back and really liked it. I'm waiting until my mother buys The Mermaid Chair so I can borrow it!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    I'm going to start Grapes of Wrath this week. After reading East of Eden John Steinbeck is one of my new favorite authors.

I also bought my first graphic novels this weekend! Volume I of Plantetary and a really sick, disturbed but funny one called Arsenic Lullaby.

Snellville... hometown of music's next big superstar.
    A Separate Peace ~ John Knowles
    YDiana DeGarmo ß One VoiceY

She dreamed... the impossible dream. She fought the unbeatable foe.
    She's still standing better than she ever did...

This is it! This time I know it's for real.

MY AMERICAN IDOL
    Did you think this fool could never win? Look at her, she's coming back again!

Daughters of Decadence: Women Writer's of the Fin-de-Siecle

edited by Elaine Showalter

+ Reply to Thread