+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 719 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222363113513 ... LastLast
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Having finished Harry Potter #5, I'm now reading Replay by Ken Grimwood. I think I mentioned it earlier. It's quite good. I'm only 30 pages in, but it's very involving and thought-provoking. Raises all sorts of interesting questions about what you would do if you actually could live your life over again with all your current experience intact in your mind. In other words, what if your current mind was transferred to your X-number-of-years-ago body?
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I've started to read Fortune's Daughter by Alica Hoffman. She is a very descriptive writer with a good sense of emotion in different "scenes" in the book. She's pretty good. I am also re-reading The Curcible by Arthur Miller for Honors English 10. It sucks. I didn't enjoy the first, second, or third time. I'm thinking it will diminish, as time goes on, for me. Anyway, I'm still reading Streams of Silver by R.A. Salvatore. Pretty good. I just have no time to read now with school. I swear that I have chemistry and geometry homework every night!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

OK, I just finished reading Replay yesterday. Took me just over a week to finish, and bearing in mind how little time I actually have to read these days, that is a whirlwind finish for me. I stayed up till 2AM reading on Friday night because I couldn't bear to put it down. It is one of the best books I've read in a while. As I mentioned previously, it's very thought-provoking and makes you reflect on your own life and the choices you've made. But you also care deeply about the characters in the book. The surprising love story that unfolds is very original and unique, and I was nearly moved to tears twice by some of the unexpected twists the relationship takes.

Highly recommended.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

I just started The Crucible for the umpteenth time! I hate it but it must be done. Honors English and all that. Anyway, I also started to read more of the manga for Fushigi Yugi!

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I have just finished reading The Da Vinci Code--couldnt put it down til I finished--and now started reading Angels and Demons by the same author, Dan Brown.

Just finished "Naked Prey" by John Sandford & "Dirty Work" by Stuart Woods, on to "Mean Woman Blues" by Julie Smith.
    Sing & dance the night away!

On Hiatus
    I'm going to add Replay to my list of books I need to read. I regularly stay up way too late reading...seems lately I'll start reading at 11 PM and next thing I know it's 3 AM. Weird how that works.

Anyway, I just finished Bleachers by Grisham. Grisham is rather hit or miss with me, but this was enjoyable for me as I came from a small town with a very similar thinking about football. It's a quick read-I read it easily in one evening. I'm not sure, though, if you weren't from the midwest (where we revere our football teams like gods) and/or a small-ish community if you'd enjoy it.
    "Ashleigh": I just think it's sleazy. It's dirty.
    Matt: Welcome to television!
    -The Joe Schmo Show

I'm currently finishing reading "Out of Place" by the late Edward Said - a Columbia professor and a Palestinian activist. However, I only see him as one of the most important scholars of our time (i.e. he put forth the idea of "orientalism" in the Western literary/cultural tradition.)

"Out of Place" is a memoir of his childhood and youth; it's the last book Said's put out, written when his health was failing. It's wonderful stuff. I've always been meaning to sit down and really *read* one of his books (I'd only read excerpts from his essays before), yet I didn't feel like starting with his works on Middle East history, as he is neither a political scientist nor a historian, and therefore may be prone to bias. This book, on the other hand, was the perfect place to start.

I had bought it at a book sale, dirt cheap. Just yesterday, I found out that Edward Said passed away on September 25th (I wish I had found out earlier, but I haven't been following the news.) It was then something jolted in my memory and I recollected that I had bought the book on the 23rd or 24th of the same month. It gave me a chill.

Ever since then, I've been reading "Out of Place" more slowly - with the knowledge that it's truly the last book he'll ever write.
    Last edited by nausicaa; 10-10-2003 at 11:52 PM.

I've started my third time reading My Antonia. I hate this book so much but I have to read it for Honors English. Ugh!!! It was terrible the first time.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I just finished Imitation in Death by J.D. Robb. It's always a fast read, Robb is a great story teller and she gives you a group of core characters to follow from book to book, I find it makes my leisure reading all that much more enjoyable.
    Currently reading: Unfit to Practice by Perri O'Shaughnessy
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread