+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

FORT Fan
    Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Great book.

Quote Originally Posted by Teppo
    Heartbreaking Work of a Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers. Great book.
    I have that one Teppo, but I haven't gotten to it yet. I did read the page titled "Rules and Suggestions for Enjoyment of This Book" and it was one of the funnier things I've ever read
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    Dutch- Terri Woods
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

"I Am Charlotte Simmons" by Tom Wolfe. It's 675 1/2 pages long and I'd guess that 650 of those pages contain at least one "F" word, which gets really old after a while. Quite frankly I think this book loses something from the constant profanity. It's boring, in my opinion. Definitely not my favorite Tom Wolfe book.
    (This opinion brought to you by a woman who has been known to talk like a sailor on more than one occasion!)

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I took a class in college called "Film and Literature", in which we had to read books AND watch the movie versions of them. (I know, screwed-up, right? )
    Anyway, that class made me realize that there are different forces at work in a film, and that it should be viewed as a different version of a similar story from the book. It's a different way of storytelling.
    So if I like a book, and they do a movie of it, I'll see it, and I try to keep in mind that some changes are necessary. That doesn't mean I always like it. But there are some things I think are better told visually -- like "Sense and Sensibility," the movie version of the Jane Austen novel; I think Austen is sometimes like Shakespeare, in that if you see it performed, you "get" it better.
    Was David Sedaris the teacher. In one of his short stories, he had a temporary job teaching English, and bought in a television so the class could watch One Life to Live, to hone their writing skills.

No, Lotus, sadly it wasn't. I remember the story he wrote about that, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Im currently reading shut the door - a novel and the girls guide to tarot
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

I just finished reading a fantasy trilogy, the books in the series are called Sabriel, Lirael, and Abhorsen written by Garth Nix.

They were very enjoyable, I recommend if your into the fantasy genre.

I just finished "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd, a very powerful story about civil rights as seen through the eyes of a 14 year old. The book has been out for some time now. I'm not sure how I missed it in my frequent forays to the library, but it's an excellent read.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Night's Child by Maureen Jennings
    This is the fifth book in the Inspector Murdoch series.
    It's January 1896 in Toronto. A thirteen year old girl has failed to show up for school. Her teacher finds some stereoscopic pictures in the girl's desk. One is of the girl herself and is captioned "What Mr. Newly-wed really wants". She asks Murdoch to investigate.

I am also on to the third volume in John Julius Norwich's history of Byzantium. This volume covers the period of the crusades (the Fourth Crusade was diverted from an avowed aim to free Jerusalem from the Muslims to an attack on Constantinople) and it's eventual fall to the Ottoman Empire.
    The series has been interesting, but I was hoping for more cultural information. How did the Eastern Roman Empire mutate from a Latin culture to a Greek one? Other than the descriptions of some religious differences there was not much discussion of this.

+ Reply to Thread