+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar
    I'm about half way through Blacklist by Sara Paretsky. I love those V.I. Warshawski mysteries.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

I used to like Patricia Cornwell, but as some have said, lately she has been lacking. I am currently just beginning to read "Final Jeopardy" by Linda Fairstein, I want to thank whoever in here recommended her. This one seems pretty good, so far. I have picked up all books by her that I could find in the library near me.
    Love Tess Gerritsen and cannot wait for her to come out with a new one. More favorites of mine are Jonathan Kellerman, Robin Cook, John Sandford, Michael Palmer, Tami Hoag, Sue Grafton, and Dean Koontz (Loved "Odd Thomas). As you can tell, I am a big fan of the suspense genre.

I just finished Joanne Harris' Holy Fools

I just started L'Affaire by Diane Johnson (she wrote Le Divorce). After so much historical fiction, I felt a need to cleanse my palette so-to-speak. I've not read anything by Diane Johnson, so I'm adjusting to her writing style, as well as the fact that the story takes place in this century!

I agree that Patricia Cornwell has fallen off her game. I'll only read her books if I find them used or someone loans/gives them to me. Geek the girl: I don't know why she switched to third person either. It seemed an odd choice to me, especially since she wrote SO many of the Scarpetta books in first person. I know her other series is in third person so maybe she tried that and found she felt more confortable with it. For me, it makes the books completely different. We used to be in Scarpetta's head, which was sort of the point. Now, it's like watching her through glass :phhht
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    We used to be in Scarpetta's head, which was sort of the point. Now, it's like watching her through glass :phhht
    Great analogy Critical. I felt her writing went downhill with the advent of her other series and her writing has lost its edge.

I picked up the Dean Koontz paperback, The Taking at Sam's Club, so I have something to read on the plane and layover. it got mixed reviews on Amazon, but I like schlock.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Enemies of the Empire by Rosemary Rowe

The latest in her series of mystery novels set in Roman Occupied Britain in the second century AD. The mystery solver is a freedman and pavement maker named Libertus.

I am reading The Taking by Dean Koontz....not too bad but not one of his better books

Quote Originally Posted by William13
    Enemies of the Empire by Rosemary Rowe

The latest in her series of mystery novels set in Roman Occupied Britain in the second century AD. The mystery solver is a freedman and pavement maker named Libertus.
    *'s ears perk up at the sound of Roman-occupied Britain*

Any mention of Bath in that series? I would be very interested if there were.

I really didn't like "The Taking" too much, but it had an interesting twist.

I've noticed that Dean Koontz is releasing a followup to Odd Thomas later this year. It's already pre-ordered from Amazon

I finished The Kite Runner. Great book, but it took me a little bit to get in the swing of things. Well-done first time author, though.

Now I'm reading Michael Laimo's "Deep in the Darkness". I'm only about 40 pages in, so I haven't hit the good stuff. I think it'll be good, though.

OOOh good, I really liked Odd Thomas.

+ Reply to Thread