+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

[QUOTE=Harvest]I just saw a commercial announcing a star-studded production of this on HBO next month.

I also saw the movie Mystic River. What do you all think of spending time reading books that you have already seen on TV (vs. reading new stories)?[QUOTE=Harvest]

Normally I would read a book before seeing the movie but there have been a few cases that I do the reverse. I can say without exception I always prefer the book.

I read Mystic River and saw the movie almost immediatly thereafter and while I wasn't exactly disappointed, I kept making inevitable comparisons. It's the same with countless others......The Horse Whisperer, White Oleander, The Pilot's Wife, The Weight of Water, yada yada yada.

As far as seeing the movie prior to the book............well it all depends. I had House of Sand and Fog on my shelf for months, finally saw the movie and decided that if I do read the book, it will be later simply because I have other "new reads" I'd like to experience first. I just recently read A Time to Kill but did see that movie, albeit it was several years ago, and the details of the movie had become foggy.

That being said, if Empire Falls is released as a motion picture, I'm sure I will see it. Same with DaVinci Code. I just have to let go of the concept of the inner dialogue I love so much with the books and enjoy the movies for what they are!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    LOL Harvest! You probably could make money writing romance novels! A friend of a friend of a friend actually does. I wish I could remember her pen name. Her career started when she said much what you just said - essentially: "Anyone could write one of those." Her kids dared her to put her money where her mouth was... and she did! Now she makes tons of money doing it!
    Maybe the biggest hurdle would be getting over the embarrassment.

In other news, I have started reading Chocolate: A Bittersweet Saga of Dark and Light. I like books about food (as well as cookbooks), such as the excellent Candyfreak, The Botany of Desire, and Fast Food Nation. I also like novels that contain cooking/recipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    I also saw the movie Mystic River. What do you all think of spending time reading books that you have already seen on TV (vs. reading new stories)?
    I took a class in college called "Film and Literature", in which we had to read books AND watch the movie versions of them. (I know, screwed-up, right? )
    Anyway, that class made me realize that there are different forces at work in a film, and that it should be viewed as a different version of a similar story from the book. It's a different way of storytelling.
    So if I like a book, and they do a movie of it, I'll see it, and I try to keep in mind that some changes are necessary. That doesn't mean I always like it. But there are some things I think are better told visually -- like "Sense and Sensibility," the movie version of the Jane Austen novel; I think Austen is sometimes like Shakespeare, in that if you see it performed, you "get" it better.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

That sounds like an excellent class, Lucy! It is always interesting to compare the books to the films, though the standard result is a landslide victory going to the books.

I've recently begun to read The Basic Writings of Carl Jung, which is a collection of the psychologist/philosopher's theories. Very interesting, very intriguing, very geeky.

I'm also working on another anthology-like deal of Jonathan Swift's writings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I took a class in college called "Film and Literature", in which we had to read books AND watch the movie versions of them. (I know, screwed-up, right? )
    Anyway, that class made me realize that there are different forces at work in a film, and that it should be viewed as a different version of a similar story from the book. It's a different way of storytelling.
    So if I like a book, and they do a movie of it, I'll see it, and I try to keep in mind that some changes are necessary. That doesn't mean I always like it. But there are some things I think are better told visually -- like "Sense and Sensibility," the movie version of the Jane Austen novel; I think Austen is sometimes like Shakespeare, in that if you see it performed, you "get" it better.
    That does sound like a cool class Lucy. I'd have a hard time in that class because I almost always like the book better. The exceptions would be Jaws and Sense and Sensibility - read both books and thought the movies were better. I had a class in college called "Film as Literature" - we watched one film each week and then wrote about the film as if it was a work of literature. We saw lots of foreign films: Betty Blue, a few by Fassbinder and a few American films. Good class and it changed the way I watch movies.

I just, sadly, finished Lahiri's The Namesake. I read a lot of books and end up liking most of them. Some are really superior but there are very few where the writing just takes my breath away. Lahiri's prose is just so pure and simple and.... I can't describe it. It gave me the same feeling as the first time I read Capote.

I just started R.K. Narayan's The Guide tonight.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I've just started The Wisdom of Forgiveness by the Dali Lama. I also checked out his Art of Happiness. Should be some good reading.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

Just started The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. It had me hooked from page one, and so far it hasn't disappointed me. Beautiful, atmospheric and thought-provoking about growing up in a loveless home in the South during the 1960s. It reminds me of To Kill a Mocking Bird (another fave) in that it manages to describe racial political and racial tension, ignorance and racism from the point of view of one girl's life. Her second novel, The Mermaid Chair was released a couple of weeks ago so I'll probably end up reading two novels by the same author back to back.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

My most recent shipment from Amazon should arrive today.

"Winning", by Jack and Suzy Welch

"Resurrection Dreams" by Richard Laymon

"The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini (yeah, you guys make a convincing argument)

I have about 20 other books on order, but they're all in various stages of non-shipment yet.

I have bought so many books from doubleday, mystery guild, amazon, albris and other new and used places that my head is spinning when I don't have the books I want to read them. Now that I have them, guess what?

I decided a few months ago to rebuild my book collection of books I've read, that over the years disappeared one way or another. It hasn't been cheap but now- Where to start? Should I just grab something and plunge in?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fogey
    I'm in the middle of American Pastoral by Philip Roth, one of the great comtemporary writers. Its taking me a while with other obligations and lack of time. I find the book to be very well written, Roth can write!, but a little sprawling.

+ Reply to Thread