+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I've just bought and started The Forest by Edward Rutherford (Sarum, London). I'm a sucker for those historical fictions that trace the progress of one family or a small group of families for millenia.

If you're a fan of old-school Ken Follett, give Rutherford a try. The Rutherford style is a little more dense and a little more esoteric, but otherwise, I find them both touching on similar themes.
    Rutherfurd is the best! If you enjoyed his other books, you'll love hit one too Phat. My favorite of his is Russka - my major in college was history with an emphasis in Eastern European. I haven't picked up his most recent book - from what I've heard, it's not up to par with his previous books. I guess I'll wait until it's in paperback.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Haven't posted here for a while so here goes!

The Kite Runner - WOW! read it in a day.......fantabulous! 5/5 stars

Life of Pi - loved the symbolism - wish I knew more about Buddhism/Hinduism - excellent read 4.5/5 stars

Along Came a Spider - Hadn't read Patterson before - light if somewhat predictable read 3.5/5

Little Children - it was......meh.......just not my cup o' tea 3/5

Empire Falls - big book with good character development - really picked up half way through 4/5

A Time to Kill - my first Grisham and I must say I thoroughly loved it! I will regularly intersperse him in my future reading! 4.5/5

Atonement - excellent story that really makes you reflect on living with the choices you make and how far reaching they could be 4.5/5

The Mermaid Chair - not as good as Secret Life of Bees but love her writing, use of symbolism and exploration of all things feminine 4/5

Currently reading Saturday by Ian McEwan - he sure knows how to turn a phrase!

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0
    Haven't posted here for a while so here goes!

The Kite Runner - WOW! read it in a day.......fantabulous! 5/5 stars

Life of Pi - loved the symbolism - wish I knew more about Buddhism/Hinduism - excellent read 4.5/5 stars

Along Came a Spider - Hadn't read Patterson before - light if somewhat predictable read 3.5/5

Little Children - it was......meh.......just not my cup o' tea 3/5

Empire Falls - big book with good character development - really picked up half way through 4/5

A Time to Kill - my first Grisham and I must say I thoroughly loved it! I will regularly intersperse him in my future reading! 4.5/5

Atonement - excellent story that really makes you reflect on living with the choices you make and how far reaching they could be 4.5/5

The Mermaid Chair - not as good as Secret Life of Bees but love her writing, use of symbolism and exploration of all things feminine 4/5

Currently reading Saturday by Ian McEwan - he sure knows how to turn a phrase!
    Great reading list! Many of your picks are on my "to read" list, especially Little Children, The Kite Runner, Saturday and The Mermaid Chair.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

ITA with geek the girl, that's a great list vondl0. I've read most of them too! I'd have to say that The Kite Runner is probably my favorite on that list. I read it over a year ago, before it got so popular. I told everyone I know to read it - I guess I'm not the only one who did that!

I'm still reading The Namesake but slowly so that it lasts longer. You're right geek, the prose is stunning. I was getting through it too fast and want to savor it for a while so I'm breaking it up with little thrillers:

* Dennis Lehane's Gone, Baby Gone - this is the first of his that I've ever read. Better than most authors of that genre, IMHO
    * Kay Hooper's Out of the Shadows - just okay. I think this is the third in a series - I didn't read the first two and probably won't
    * Jeffrey Deaver's Garden of Beasts - not one of the Lincoln Rhyme series. This one is about Hitler's Germany - not really my cup of tea, but I finished it just to finish it.

Next, I finish The Namesake and move on to ...hmmmmm... whatever strikes my fancy!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    * Dennis Lehane's Gone, Baby Gone - this is the first of his that I've ever read. Better than most authors of that genre, IMHO
    Mystic River was one of my top reads for 2004. I just finished Shutter Island. It knocked me through a wall.

Of the Patrick(?)/Angie mysteries, I read and liked A Drink Before the War.

* Jeffrey Deaver's Garden of Beasts - not one of the Lincoln Rhyme series. This one is about Hitler's Germany - not really my cup of tea, but I finished it just to finish it.
    I just finished his Twisted collection of short stories. 'Twas good. Very good. I liked them better, I think, than his full-length novels, although I did like Blue Nowhere (no Lincoln Rhyme) and Stone Monkey (with Lincoln Rhyme).
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    True To The Game- Teri Woods
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Mystic River was one of my top reads for 2004. I just finished Shutter Island. It knocked me through a wall.

Of the Patrick(?)/Angie mysteries, I read and liked A Drink Before the War.

I just finished his Twisted collection of short stories. 'Twas good. Very good. I liked them better, I think, than his full-length novels, although I did like Blue Nowhere (no Lincoln Rhyme) and Stone Monkey (with Lincoln Rhyme).
    I've got Mystic River on the shelf ready to go. I'm waiting to be in the right mind-set to read it.

Most of the thrillers I read come from the lending library in the office at my apartment complex. I read them so fast that I can't justify paying money for them. It's great to get so many "free reads" but I'm restricted by what other people bring in. I did enjoy the one Lehane I read so I may look for others in that series.

I really liked The Blue Nowhere too Phat, although it did freak me out a bit.... the possibilities, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by vondl0
    I just saw a commercial announcing a star-studded production of this on HBO next month.

I also saw the movie Mystic River. What do you all think of spending time reading books that you have already seen on TV (vs. reading new stories)?

Also in deciding what to spend time on, I have to think of whether to order the book or the book-on-CD from the library. For instance, part of the charm of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell was the stories told in the lengthy footnotes. How would they narrate that? When I had my husband listen to Mason & Dixon on CD, it was not the same as reading it with all of the authentic spelling etc. But when I listened to Redbird Christmas narrated by the author Fannie Flagg, I felt her inflections made me understand her intentions better than if I had just read the print version.
    Last edited by Harvest; 04-13-2005 at 07:14 PM.

I wanted to add something I foudn on a Thomas Pynchon website:

"Like Gravity's Rainbow (1973) and V. (1963), Mason & Dixon is a large and complex work. But one must be reminded that beneath the wide-ranging erudition and complexity there beats a rock 'n' roll heart, and the daunting mystery and 'high seriousness' is counterbalanced by flights of zany (and often quite dark) humor."

I agree! It is funny, offbeat, and utterly charming. Usually I pick something off the current bestseller list, but Mason & Dixon is worth going back to if you want something you can sink your teeth into.

Speaking of the bestseller list, now that I am watching Mr. Romance, I noticed a Danielle Steele book on the current bestsellers. Having never read her, or romance novels in general, I looked at the review on Amazon.com. Everyone hated it. And yet she is still making a fortune off her writing! Her family is so rich they are among the social elite of San Francisco. Maybe I should start reading those books, figure out how to write them, and try to make my fortune? Could I stand it? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest
    Speaking of the bestseller list, now that I am watching Mr. Romance, I noticed a Danielle Steele book on the current bestsellers. Having never read her, or romance novels in general, I looked at the review on Amazon.com. Everyone hated it. And yet she is still making a fortune off her writing! Her family is so rich they are among the social elite of San Francisco. Maybe I should start reading those books, figure out how to write them, and try to make my fortune? Could I stand it? Probably not.
    LOL Harvest! You probably could make money writing romance novels! A friend of a friend of a friend actually does. I wish I could remember her pen name. Her career started when she said much what you just said - essentially: "Anyone could write one of those." Her kids dared her to put her money where her mouth was... and she did! Now she makes tons of money doing it!

Danielle Steele may not be a great writer, but she has a large and loyal fan base. That's pretty much all she needs to keep raking in the dough.

+ Reply to Thread