+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Oh Look, A Farce! MysticalChicken's Avatar
    Currently reading "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. I think the title says it all.

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    Currently rereading "Battle Royale" by Koushun Takami. The idea behind the plot is interesting: 42 students are sent to a remote island, given weapons to kill each other with, and the last student alive "wins." But I guess it's pretty predictable, in terms of who'll be the surviving student.
    That sounds like a combination of "Lord of the Flies" and Stephen King's story "The Long Walk."

MysticalChicken, I'd be interested to hear more about that Wicked Witch book. Seems like I've heard good things about it.

Oh, and I'm still riveted by "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norell". I love it!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I just finished 'A Civil Action' by Jonathon Harr. It was pretty good, a lot of unnecessary details, but overall a worthwhile read.

The Poisonwood Bible, by Barbara Kingsolver. This may be one of the rare books that goes back to the library before I finish it. The writing is good, sometimes exceptional, but the story is unbearably dreary and depressing.

A side note...my 5-year-old can't read, but is obsessed with ancient Egypt. This is really odd because I've always loved that subject myself, and as a youngster I aspired to be an Egyptologist. Anyway, I was thrilled that she expressed an interest in something other than Disney Princess movies and merchandise, so like a good mommy, I went to the childrens' section of the library and got her some kid-friendly books about Egypt. One of the books is really cool - it's called You Wouldn't Want to be an Egyptian Mummy! Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know. It explains the mummification process and the history behind it, but in a light-hearted way with lots of cartoons. For anyone who has a curious child, I would recommend it.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

AJane, have you ever read any of the "Amelia Peabody" books by Elizabeth Peters? They're mysteries, set in Egypt in the early 20th century, involving a family of achaelologists.

I haven't, Lucy, but I'm just taking a look at them now on Amazon. I used to never like mysteries, but Jasper Fforde changed all that for me with the Thursday Next series...so I think I'll give the Elizabeth Peters books a try. What's a good one to start with?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

They're a series, AJane, so start with the first (although I can't remember its name.)
    But bear in mind, they aren't like Fforde -- they're a bit longwinded and locquacious, as if you took Jane Austen and plopped her in Egypt. I like them, though.

Continuing my Robert McCammon obsession, I'm now reading "Speaks the Nightbird, Volume I" (there are 2 so far). It's fiction, set in 1699 New England, and is about a witch trial.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    A side note...my 5-year-old can't read, but is obsessed with ancient Egypt. This is really odd because I've always loved that subject myself, and as a youngster I aspired to be an Egyptologist. Anyway, I was thrilled that she expressed an interest in something other than Disney Princess movies and merchandise, so like a good mommy, I went to the childrens' section of the library and got her some kid-friendly books about Egypt. One of the books is really cool - it's called You Wouldn't Want to be an Egyptian Mummy! Disgusting Things You'd Rather Not Know. It explains the mummification process and the history behind it, but in a light-hearted way with lots of cartoons. For anyone who has a curious child, I would recommend it.
    AJane, my 5 year old son has a similar passion about Egypt and Mummies. The Stanford Museum is not too far from our home and has a mummy which we take him to see it all the time. I think I will check out that book for him. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Sounds like my junior-year Statistics class. Actually, that does sound interesting, but you're right that books like this are usually predictable. (It's bound to be the most sympathetic male or female, right?)
    Heh, I'd love to respond to that, but I'd give away too much, methinks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    That sounds like a combination of "Lord of the Flies" and Stephen King's story "The Long Walk."
    "Battle Royale" is usually compared to "Lord of the Flies" but I actually haven't read it ("Lord of the Flies"). I'll get it next time I go to the library.
    Gustav Holst was right!

+ Reply to Thread