+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree260Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

If anyone likes the Trading Spaces type of shows and is looking for a light, yet entertaining, read: I read Death by Inferior Design this weekend and enjoyed it. It would be a good summer "poolside" read.
    "Nothing intoxicates some people like a sip of authority."

Today's read was interesting..."The Jerk with the Cell Phone (a Survival Guide for the Rest of Us)". Hey man, it was on the clearance rack at Borders for a whopping $1 how could I resist? The main theme of the book is polite intervention for those who abuse/are discourteous on their cells. Being as those are a huge pet peeve of mine when trying to do customer service at work, it was a must read for me. I'd have honestly liked to read more horror stories, but that's ok, it was still a good quick read.

Next up is The Next Big Thing (which was why I went to the bookstore in the first place)....I should be done with that in the next day or so as I sit here watching repeats of Bands Reunited on VH1 and reading.

I'm reading ... um ... er ... ... "Juiced: Wild Times, Rampant 'Roids, Smash Hits, and How Baseball Got Big, by Jose Canseco," my pretend husband

What can I say? The man is beautiful! Sure, he's an ass but he's gorgeous! Meeting him a few years ago was amazing! The man's body is massive!

... forgive me ...
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Bob Dylan
    Chronicles Volume One

Although I like Bob Dylan I wasnít sure if I wanted to read this despite the good reviews. Since he is such a private person I wondered how candid he would be. He also has a history of making up things about his past. His writing is not always the clearest. I may be one of the few people who liked Masked and Anonymous, but itís not the most intelligible movie ever made.

Curiosity finally got the better of me. This is not your standard autobiography. There is no linear progression of events. Sometimes it hard to even be certain of the period heís referring to since he skips back and forth. Itís more a series of impressions written in essay form. It starts off with a longish bit about the period just before he became famous. Dylan discusses the people who influenced him and the books and songs and types of music that interested him (and some choices are surprising). Just when you think that he has gotten to the part when heís about to discuss the period when he became famous Dylan skips to 1968 Ė thatís one of the few dates that he mentions. He discusses how hard it was to be Bob Dylan in the 1960ís. According to Dylan he had virtually no privacy and he certainly had no desire to be the spokesman for a generation. He seems to suggest that he sabotaged his own career with bad albums just so that people would lower their expectations of him.

If you read this book expecting to hear why Dylan decided to go electric or to read about how he created some of the greatest albums of the 1960ís and 1970ís you are going to be disappointed. He admits that he has no distinctive memories of recording sessions; that they all run together. However if you are interested in getting inside the head of one of the most creative people in rock I think that you will find Chronicles interesting. There is a rhythm to the writing that really suits him.

FORT Fogey
    Can You Keep A Secret? By Sophia Kinsella, The Boy Next Door and Boy Meets Girl, both by Meg Cabot
    I adored these books. I laughed out loud at many parts and although the books by Cabot were extremely similar, I still liked them. All three were extremely easy, but enjoyable, reads, and I finished them all in a week. I recommend them as summer beach books.

William13. I'm a huge Dylan fan; at one time I had a great picture of him as my avatar. And I loved Masked and Anonymous - what's not to love? A political criminal, a third world country and a revolution, with a brilliant cast.

I didn't know what to expect when I got the book for Christmas. If you've ever tried to decipher Tarantula you know what I mean. I found Chronicles charming. I think he did what he meant to do - set out to write vignettes of his life, which was not what I anticipated but in the end much more satisfying. It's a little unsettling to realize the person I'd idolized as the voice of a generation didn't see himself that way at all.

Very interesting, very worthwhile, whether you're a Dylan fan or not.

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    Life's been a bit hectic and stressful lately, so I'm attempting to achieve a calmer, zen-type state by retreating to P.G. Wodehouse's works.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

I went to the mall after work to at the new Sony PSP and walked out through Books & Co. Somehow, a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife found its way into my hands.

The premise is unusual. Clare meets Henry when she is 20, and he's 28. She's known him since she was 6, but he's never met her before. When he's in his 30's, he begins time-traveling to the past and meets his wife during her childhood.

Henry's travels whisk him to important points in time in both his and his future wife's lives.

It's totally unlike anything I've ever read before and 100 percent compelling. It's almost 600 pages, and in a matter of a few hours, I'm almost halfway through.

I can't resist a good time-travel yarn, though.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I went to the mall after work to at the new Sony PSP and walked out through Books & Co. Somehow, a copy of The Time Traveler's Wife found its way into my hands.

The premise is unusual. Clare meets Henry when she is 20, and he's 28. She's known him since she was 6, but he's never met her before. When he's in his 30's, he begins time-traveling to the past and meets his wife during her childhood.

Henry's travels whisk him to important points in time in both his and his future wife's lives.

It's totally unlike anything I've ever read before and 100 percent compelling. It's almost 600 pages, and in a matter of a few hours, I'm almost halfway through.

I can't resist a good time-travel yarn, though.
    phat32, that was one of my favorite reads last year! I hardly left the couch once I opened it up! If you're into time travel stories, you might want to try Doomsday Book by Connie Willis and Forever by Pete Hamill (the latter is more a story about immortality, but SO good. Another time travel book that I read recently, although it's not new, was Daphe du Maurier's The House on the Strand. I read a bunch of time travel books all within the last six months. They all had that theme in common, but it was interesting how each author had a different take on the process and the effects.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Originally posted by:RBmumsie:

Life's been a bit hectic and stressful lately, so I'm attempting to achieve a calmer, zen-type state by retreating to P.G. Wodehouse's works.
    I love Wodehouse, especially the Jeeves and Wooster books. What book are you reading?

+ Reply to Thread