+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Just finished A Salty Piece of Land By Jimmy Buffett. Found it to be a good book, maybe not quite Joe Merchant but good in its own way
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I'm reading "The Brethren" by John Grisham. I'm having a little bit of trouble getting into it.

Thanks Broadway...for your opinion.
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

The Last Temptation by Val McDermid

It's a crime novel, her 3rd in the series featuring criminal profiler Tony Hill and Chief Inspector Carol Jordan.

I find the angsty sections about Hill's inner demons and his and Jordan's personal relationships (they work together so well, but remind each other of too many dark memories, she loves him but he has psychologicall problems that keep them apart) rather tedious.

But the criminals and the crimes are interesting and the investigation is intriguing, so overall I enjoy reading Val McDermid's books.

I finished up Christopher Rice's new book, Light Before Day just a couple of days ago. Really interesting read (I did it cover to cover in about 7 straight hours).....it's been interesting watching the progression in his writing from his first book, A Destiny of Souls to this one, this follows along the lines of The Snow Garden (his 2nd book) with the mystery/twist aspects of it.

A big from me

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaBelle27
    I've read Johanna Edward's (fellow FORTer, guys!) book "The Next Big Thing"... super-enjoyable and right up our alley here at "Fans of Reality TV" with it's The Biggest Loser style show (but better ) and it's references to famewhores, Survivor, etc.
    I was intrigued with reading about this book here, but then today I got one of my magazines in the mail (Figure) and they have an interview with her in it. I recognized the name immediately and was like "hey! that's the gal from FORT they were talking about!"....I'm definitely gonna go out and get this later on in the week when I have time to get back to the store, sounds really interesting!

Phat, did you get it for J yet? Wha'd she think of it?

Quote Originally Posted by libra1022
    Phat, did you get ["The Next Big Thing"] for J yet? Wha'd she think of it?
    She liked it. She didn't say very much about it because she's hoping I'll pick it up and read it next. (No offense, Johanna, but that probably won't happen; chick lit simply isn't my bag.) +
    Last edited by phat32; 03-16-2005 at 03:56 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    I read that a couple of months ago and, too, found it very simple but strangely addicting. She definitely could have benefited from a ghost writer though: she's not that good a writer and the "cleaning up" part of the book was way too long. Too much pointless descriptions of movie sets and so on. I'm not saying she should have been more graphic about her early years, but after all, that's what the readers want to read about - not fifty pages of the set of Cry Baby (although I love that movie).
    I agree that the second part of the book was less exciting than the first part, but I was quite happy that she left out any unnecessary details in the beginning.

Since I see that you're Swedish (?), now I'm reading Linda Skugge's diary. Don't know what to make of it yet though

I just finished reading Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was a really good book and sad in some areas. It was one of those books when it ended I was sad because I wanted the story to keep going.

Quote Originally Posted by charlotten
    I agree that the second part of the book was less exciting than the first part, but I was quite happy that she left out any unnecessary details in the beginning.

Since I see that you're Swedish (?), now I'm reading Linda Skugge's diary. Don't know what to make of it yet though
    Linda Skugge's diary? Seriously? In English? I read that a while back, and was intrigued by the contents but appalled by the sloppy language.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread