+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Right, that did come out last Tuesday, didn't it? I'll get my copy tomorrow, hopefully. It looks delicious!
    J. and I were at Barnes and Noble Friday night. She saw it, picked it and wants it for her birthday basket later this month. I didn't even realize the author was a registered FoRT member. That's outstanding. Congratulations, Johanna!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I know the subject is books and magazines are not considered in the same class, however I would would like to put a good word in for the The Atlantic Monthly. It's an amazing magazine. This month it has articles about a women who has spent years documenting human rights abuses in Iraq, a profile of Vladamir Putin, an obituary of Artie Shaw, an essay about the quality of (or the lack of quality of) a Harvard education, and for a something a bit lighter it has a collection of Dan Ratherisms, and much more.

I'm reading "Your Best Life Now" by Joel Osteen. At 46 I was already thinking that my best years are behind me and I have little left to look forward too. This book gave me the kick in the butt I needed to leave the pity party.

Just started Fall On Your Knees by Anne Marie McDonald. The Oprah's book club label did put me off a bit initially (although Oprah does choose good books overall) but several people have recommended it to me, so I overcame my fears So far, so good.

I really enjoyed The Dante Club, by the way. Fans of Mark Frost's severely underrated The List of 7, Dante and/or 19th century poets such as Emerson should definitely pick it up. The literary detective novel is (hopefully) here to stay!
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhora
    I just started Jon Stewart's America (The Book). Good stuff. It's cracking me up.
    Jon Stewart is a nut...I totally forgot about this book, I'll have to read it.
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

Right Here, Right Now Britannia's Avatar
    Really enjoyed "Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell" - a few loose ends etc, but all in all a great read. I was even dreaming about it at night!

Just started reading Digital Fortress by Dan Brown and its pretty catchy and interesting so far, I hope it just continues to intrigue me like Angels and Demons did. Anyone read it? Any opinions? Thanks!
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

Digital Fortress is a great book and a great read.... but nothing matches up to Angels and Demons.

But I do think you'll really enjoy the entire story.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

Right now it's Traci Lords' autobiography Underneath It All. I quite like it, even though it's simple.

Quote Originally Posted by charlotten
    Right now it's Traci Lords' autobiography Underneath It All. I quite like it, even though it's simple.
    I read that a couple of months ago and, too, found it very simple but strangely addicting. She definitely could have benefited from a ghost writer though: she's not that good a writer and the "cleaning up" part of the book was way too long. Too much pointless descriptions of movie sets and so on. I'm not saying she should have been more graphic about her early years, but after all, that's what the readers want to read about - not fifty pages of the set of Cry Baby (although I love that movie).
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

+ Reply to Thread