+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 712 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202161111511 ... LastLast
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Gotta Love that Scout scooberoo's Avatar
    I'm pretty good at figuring them out, but I'm not always thinking like that. Usually when I think I know who did it, I'm right. The other times I don't really even make a guess.

Even though I was surprised by the ending of Cards on the Table, the person who did it was my first guess. (Only guess, if you put it that way.) The ABC Murders was pretty easy to figure out, because when she makes a murderer look so obvious, it usually isn't them.

The only reason I didn't like the ending of TMoRA (well, I liked it, but not as much as some others) was that the murderer came into my mind as who did it, but I just thought... 'Agatha wouldn't do that'. I've come to learn that she'll do anything.

jeepers! You guys sure read some heavy stuff! For me reading is an escape. I love light and trashy stuff, mostly detective/mystery/courtroom novels.
    I did my time with the classics (hated Dickens it was so gloomy) Paulie, I share your love of Shakespeare my fave: Much Ado About Nothing.

As for what's on my night stand;

Trapped - Greg Iles

White Oleander - Janet Fitch

Unfit to Practice - Perri O'Shaughnessy (about her 10th in the series, I have read all previous novels)

Imitation in Death - J.D Robb I have read this entire series also. J.D Robb is the pen name of Nora Roberts I have read everything she's ever published under all of her pseudonyms- some feel she writes to a formula, I find her to be a good story teller and its a good way to turn my brain off and just enjoy the read

All that remains - Patricia Cornwell - This is the Kay Scarpetta series of books, I just recently found them and I must say I cant wait to get my hands on the next one Cruel and Unusual.

I also enjoy Sue Grafton (the alphabet series A is for Alibi and so on) I am not reading anything by her now but I will be soon.

What is the main source of your reading materials?
    Do you buy brand new?
    Do you buy used?
    Do you wait forever on the library's To Lend list?
    I'm finding my reading habit to be almost as bad as a smoking habit must be!! At $12 a book and I can read 2 a week, it adds up!
    I have started buying used (I hate the smell) and trading with friends - although no one seems to share my taste in novels
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I love reading light and trashy stuff too.

That's because I'm already doing heavy reading for school.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

Quote Originally Posted by scooberoo
    I prefer Miss Marple, but I like Hercule, too. I haven't read The Big Four or Cat Among the Pigeons, but I own both of them. The ABC Murders, Halloween Party, and The Murder of Roger Ackroyd are three of my favorites. For Hercule I also liked Murder on the Orient Express, and Lord Edgware dies. Both easy to figure out, but fun to read. And Then There Were None/Ten Little Indians and A Murder is Announced are my favorite books by her, thus far.

Shazzer, I think I felt a little gypped by the ending in TMoRA, but I still loved that book.
    I loved Murder on the Orient Express. That was very smart imo.

TMoRA is really good... I re-read the entire book again to make sure she didn't let any clue drop. Very interesting method of writing, I would say.

I didn't really like The Big Four... too adventure-ish, imo. I prefer something more whodunnit-ish.
    “In Rrrussia, vee have proverb: Only bad soliders don’t vant to be general.” Sasha Pivovarova

Duxxy, I like Patricia Cornwell. I've read several of her Kay Scarpetta books, they're all good.

I go on kicks. I was into Jon D. macDonald books, read almost all of them. Then John Sandford, and I own all of his books now. And so on...

I'm trying a new book now, "Hosts", as I mentioned above, and this appears to be a series I will now be required to complete.

Right now I'm reading Leap of Faith, which is the story of Queen Noor of Jordan. Very interesting read - I was braced for another Grace Kelly, fairy-tale American blonde meets king, falls in love and bears his children saga. I had no idea she is so well-educated and astute. Part Swedish and part Middle Eastern, the former Lisa Halaby was in the first class at Princeton to admit women and her father was once the head of the FAA.

Obviously the slant on the Middle East political issues is decidedly not pro-American, but neither is it a total bash of American politics either.

So far, I'm enjoying this book immensely - so much that I read almost the whole first 1/2 on an airplane on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by YCan'tAngieRead
    And a question: The Da Vinci Code. For those of you who read it, would you recommend it? Can you give me very quick review?
    I just finished reading it. It is fast-paced and does grab your interest early. It is interesting, though I am not sure about the ending.

It does take major swipes at religion so it might offend those that are very religious, but I was not.

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Started Reading These in English:
    The Interesting Narrative of the Life of Olaudah Equiano - Olaudah Equiano
    A Narrative of the Captivity - Mary Rowlandson
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I just finished The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd. I really loved it.

I am beginning Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf. This selection was inspired by the movie The Hours . I can not wait to see what this book has to offer.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

i'm currently reading "sex, drugs and cocoa puffs." it's a pop culture commentary by an editor at spin mag. if i could remember his name, i'd offer that, too. but i can't. so i won't. however, it's a hysterical book. i'm loving it. my next read is also going to be "mrs. dalloway."

+ Reply to Thread