+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree256Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Right now I'm reading The Age of Innocence. Picked it up because it's always on these lists of books you have to read before you die, and people like comparing Wharton to Austen. The first 50 pages were pretty darn dull, but now the story's started to pick up and there's quite a plot brewing underneath all those long sentences.

Okay, I finally got around to getting copies of the "Sandman" series. The first volume is very, very good. I like it.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Haejin your picture gives me the creeps eeeek

I was just trading books with one of my cousins yesterday even though I haven't read in ages. (just out of the habit)

she wanted a book i had (we get a ton from one of my sister-in-law) I wouldn't give it to her. (not yet)

Paper Life by Tatum O'neal. I still haven't started it. It's short and looks like something that could get me back into a habit I used to love.

Anyone read it? I don't like John Mcenroe (whoa sp really off i know)

big creep I think he is.

Anyway, I'm gonna get into it. I'll post back how it is. Unless someone says it's really good before I finish it.
    The Pats will be back next year. Watch out.....

A friend and I are going to re-start an old tradition of taking turns reading aloud to each other. We used to love to do that with spy novels. We had the best time reading The Manchurian Candidate years and years ago. I've nominated Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates by Tom Robbins as our next book, and I think that is where we'll start. I just love that book.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

Zhora, I haven't done that in a while but when I used to commute 60 miles each way to work my carpool buddy and I would read aloud to each other. Mostly we read Steven King books. Well, that's where our tastes collided.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I just started reading "Neither Here Nor There: Travels in Europe" by Bill Bryson.

I love the way he writes, he's very funny...which makes it a little difficult while reading on the train as I try NOT to giggle aloud. I've read "A Walk in the Woods" which was funny too, well through 3/4 of the book - our book club liked it at least through half of the book then we all thought he became boring. Even so I felt like reading another book, if nothing else but for laughs.

Has anyone read Bill Bryson? or could you suggest a humorous book?
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

I just started Jon Stewart's America (The Book). Good stuff. It's cracking me up.
    Iím haunted a little this evening by feelings that have no vocabulary and events that should be explained in dimensions of lint rather than words.
    -Richard Brautigan

I'm halfway through The Dante Club by Matthew Pearl, a murder mystery with literary themes set in 1860's Boston. I recently read Divina Commedia for a lit class, so I love the way the mystery relates to Dante. If you - like me - love old-fashioned murder mystery novels just as much as you love the great classics, this is definitely something for you. You don't have to have read Dante prior to this, but it definitely helps if you have at least a vague idea of Dante's vision of Hell. It will definitely enhance your reading experience.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I am reading David Sedaris' Me Talk Pretty One Day. he is so funny but I keep falling asleep. We got a new mattress and it is not even David's fault. Funny, funny!

I am also reading aloud to the kids. Right now we are on the second book of Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events. The kids really like dark stuff and that is about as dark as I want to go. We have read Harry Potter too. They love to be read to and I love reading.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Quote Originally Posted by Feifer
    I am also reading aloud to the kids. Right now we are on the second book of Lemony Snickett's A Series of Unfortunate Events.
    If you're into reading for the kidlings, have you ever introduced them to one of my favorites when I was younger--the Lynne Reid Banks Indian in the Cupboard series? They're not dark, per se, but I think your children would enjoy them, nevertheless.

Now, if you like Lemony Snickett aka Daniel Handler, try The Basic Eight. I have it, have started it but keep picking it up and putting it down because I lack for time.

Back on topic: I just picked up Sleeping Beauty, the latest paperback from one of my favorite crime authors, Phillip Margolin. Unfortunately, because of his last three books, I've gone from buying Margolin in hardcover to buying Margolin in paperback when I see them and have nothing else at the moment.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread