+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree254Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by sleepysluggo
    I just started Little Children by Tom Perotta. It's a very interesting satire on suburban life gone haywire...
    Cool! I'm very anxious to read that one as I love twisted tales of suburbia (The Ice Storm comes to mind), and the first sample pages on Amazon were very promising indeed. Let me know how you like it.

AJane, thanks so much for the input! I'm off to the library for an Ann Tyler sample. If I like the first book I pick up, I'll make sure to buy a few later. That's how I usually operate when it comes to new potential favourite authors.
    Last edited by geek the girl; 02-18-2005 at 04:22 AM.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom

Quote Originally Posted by saltyj
    I'm currently reading Much Ado About Nothing by Shakespeare and Catch-22 by Joseph Heller for my English class.
    I LOOOVE Much Ado. It's my favourite Shakespearian work. Be warned though- it starts out happy but it does get a little dark.
    Taming of the Shrew is my second fave. If you still like Much Ado by the end then I highly recommend Shrew to you.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
    A quick but intriguing read...

Oh, goodness! My current reading is so much fluffier than a lot of what's being brought up, but anyway. I just started Helen Fielding's latest book, Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination. I'm only 30 pages in, but so far it's quite entertaining, and quite a departure from the familiar BJD stuff. The heroine is a semi-successful freelance journalist who may or may not have stumbled upon Osama bin Laden. And get this, it's a comedy! Lol. Pretty quirky, but very good reading for a vacation, which is what I'm on (YAY)!

I just started Little Children by Tom Perotta. It's a very interesting satire on suburban life gone haywire...
    That's a great, compelling read. I'm a mom from the 'burbs and loved the insight and sympathetic nature of Perotta's story. It was funny as hell, too.

ETA: Love the av, sleepy.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I'm about to start Tom Robbin's Another Roadside Attraction.

I love Tom Perotta! Did you read Election?

I am currently reading Chicken Soup For The Teenage Soul I love those kinds of stories, and they are just so interesting to read. I have most of the books in the Chicken Soup series.

I'm reading a novel my close friend wrote (during her first semester of college! ) It's really impressive. She's looking for an agent now. I feel... useless. But I'm enjoying it and very proud of her.

+ Reply to Thread