+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree270Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

I just finished Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevky, and I really liked it. It's one of those books that I've been meaning to get around to forever, but never found the time. Anyway, I'm glad that I finally did.
    -Other People can often see things about you that you yourself cannot see, even if those people are stupid.- Infinite Jest

Im ready for my closeup.. Tallulahbaby's Avatar
    UHID, Ive been meaning to read C&P forever!

Since Im on bedrest Ive been doing tons of reading...

I just finished Rosemary's Baby. (Yeah really good reading for a pregnant woman!) I must say this is the only book I think Ive read that the movie was faithful to...almost page by page. I enjoyed it...very creepy...and I loved having the visuals of Mia Farrow and Ruth Gordon in my head while reading!

I then read Ghost Story by Peter Straub. Really enjoyed it...Creeped me out at times. Finished it in 2 days...

Then I read The Haunting of Hill House which I read in High School. But I enjoyed it much more this time.
    Coco Magdalena made her debut Sept 2, 2006 7lbs 1oz!!!

"Daddy warned me about Men and Booze, but didn't say anything about Women and Cocaine" - Tallulah Bankhead

Just finished Coal Run by Tawni O'Dell (she also wrote Gap Creek - an Oprah book a few years back). Somewhat predictable but light and entertaining - I'd give it 3 stars out of 5.

Going to start Amsterdam and then Atonement - both by Ian McEwan.

Happy Reading Peeps!

Tallulahbaby- You should pick it up, I highly recommend it.

Vondl0- I just finished reading Atonement, it's pretty good. Tell us how you like it!

I'm currently reading Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe. It's alright so far. I'm pretty appalled by the way in which men and women pick their spouses, though. This is definitely no Jane Austen novel, I can tell you that! It's probably more realistic to the time period, though.
    -Other People can often see things about you that you yourself cannot see, even if those people are stupid.- Infinite Jest

I just read Jean M. Auel's Shelters of Stone. It has been years since I read her previous books, and I loved them. But Shelters of Stone was disappointing to me. I read it in two days only because it was the first book in long time I have read in my native language. At first I thought maybe it was bad translation to Finnish from English, but as the book continued with the endless repetition (and boring language - hello! editors, why didn't you do your job?) I came to the conclusion that it was the author's doing (not the translators). I felt like the author had really nothing to say, she only wrote the book because she had to finish Ayla's story. And the last couple paragraphs seemed to indicate that there might be more to come. I know I will get the next book in the series at some point (took me a long time to get this one), but I am not exactly looking forward to it. I was a fan, but not so anymore. Maybe this series suffers the same syndrome as Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series - the author just doesn't know how to end the series gracefully. It's a skill, too, to quit at the right time.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

I just finished A Million Little Pieces by James Frey, an incredibly moving autobiography (although it reads like a novel) about addiction. Highly recommended, and this from the girl who usually avoids autobiographies.

Next read: The Russian Debutante's Handbook by Gary Shteyngart. I've only read a chapter so far (too much required reading for uni) but it seems like a very fresh, original and wildly funny book.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I posted this in the David Sedaris thread, but I just finished reading Me Talk Pretty One Day. This book had me laughing so hard I almost choked.

I just finished the Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe when I heard about the Narnia movie coming out at the end of the year - can't wait!! I read a few articles about the plot and characters and couldn't remember any details so I decided to pick up one of my favorite books from when I was a kid. I am reading the rest of the series now. I also recently read 5 people you meet in heave - very good! And just got the most recent HP book.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    Benjamin Franklin.

Things Happen............ J1NVUPatricia's Avatar
    I just finished reading Dissapearing Acts by terri McMillan. Now I am reading Booty Call by Eric something. It's an urban fiction novel about sex, lies and violence. It is really good. Next I want to read either Project Chick or Let That Be The Reason. Bote of these being Urban Fiction novels.
    Love is very complicated and complex thing that can be expressed in many different ways. No one really knows the true meaning of love.
    Love Always Patricia

Is anyone else out there reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell?? I can't get any of my married mommy friends to read it (over 800 pages!), but it's so good and I'd love to discuss it...

+ Reply to Thread