+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree247Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Too funny...the woman who told me about it is a huge Colin Farrell fan. I wonder if I should break the news to her.
    Oh, oh, what, what? I Colin Farrell!! What's going on?

Oh my, the threadjacking that I've instigated.... I found the movie on Amazon for nine bucks, it should arrive late this week or early next. I'm personally not a Colin Farrell fan, so the news that Colin Firth is in it is much, much better.

I'm now re-reading Jane Austen's Persuasion. I'm into comfort reading this last week.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

A Colin Farrell movie that is a good book is At Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham (who wrote the wonderful, Pulitzer-winning The Hours, which I preferred on the page). It's a really touching story about two good boyhood friends, an unlikely love triangle, and a new definition of family. The story doesn't all quite fit in the filmic adaptation, but I liked seeing Colin play against type--as a gentle, innocent, sort-of manchild.

(Frosty--the movie version gives you liberal amounts of nekkid Colin. Um, not like I'm looking, heh heh! Okay, I'm totally looking. )
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (wonderful)
    That book! I loved it at some parts but the ending portions (with the girl Susie Salmon -I think her name was- turning into Ruth and whatnot) weren't exactly for my tastes. Just a bit too off the wall for me, really. There are lines in that book though that are gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    to the FoRT, Verg!
    Let us know what you think of it. I've passed it on to many friends and family members, and we all agree that it's brilliant social commentary. It's my favorite Margaret Atwood, although I also loved Oryx and Crake.
    Hello! Thanks for the welcome!

I'm still reading The Handmaid's Tale - it's taking me awhile for some reason unlike the rest of her books I've read, but yes, the thoughts expressed are strong and definitely note worthy. I've still yet to finish, but I'm touched by the flashbacks of Luke and her daughter. You can almost feel those emotions.

I haven't read Oryx and Crake yet but it's definitely on my "To Read" list since I still have a bunch of other Atwood books to read. I have to say, my favorite of hers is The Blind Assassin. That book is just.. wow.

I stayed up til 2am finishing House of Sand and Fog and now I have to watch this movie. I'm so glad I picked this novel up, regardless of the "Oprah Book Club" sticker on the front cover.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

I am reading Icewind Dale trilogy (promised my husband long time ago to read these, they were his teen year favorites), already read The Drow Elf trilogy (since it was the history to Icewind Dale, although published later), both by R.A. Salvatore. Not bad, very easy reading, and entertaining. They also have some slightly philosophical passages, and my husband confessed he never read those bits when he was a teen
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostelized
    I just finished reading the latest installment of the Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan series.

Now I'm going to start reading Memoirs of a Geisha. I've heard it was good and I'd like to read it before the movie comes out in December.
    Ohhh they're making Memoirs of a Geisha into a movie? I wonder if it will be any good? The book is fantastic! I'm just amazed that it was written by a western male. He must've researched the geisha lifestyle thoroughly before writing.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I'm reading ... more crap!! LOL who'da guessed?! never too much by Lori Foster. Her first book was exciting but this one is kind of bogging me down. It's like a smutty Harlequin romance. bleah

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Ohhh they're making Memoirs of a Geisha into a movie? I wonder if it will be any good? The book is fantastic! I'm just amazed that it was written by a western male. He must've researched the geisha lifestyle thoroughly before writing.
    Yes, it is! Directed by Rob Marshall and the cast includes Ziyi Zhang, Michelle Yeoh, and Ken Watanabe. It's still in production but for more information click here.

+ Reply to Thread