+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree249Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I'm re-reading Maeve Binchy's Circle of Friends - I needed something warm and cuddly after Get In The Van.

I know there was a Circle of Friends movie, with Colin Farrell and Minnie Driver - if anyone knows where I could get it, let me know.
    It's actually Chris O'Donnell and Minnie Driver. I own a copy, as it was one of my favorites at the time. I wonder if you'd still find a copy at Best Buy, or a larger video store like that.

Too funny...the woman who told me about it is a huge Colin Farrell fan. I wonder if I should break the news to her.

No Best Buy here in the boondocks. I'm going to try an Amazon search when I get home. One of your favourites, Broadway? Does it stick to the original story?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Currently reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. It's my fourth book of hers, I believe.

She's pure brilliance.

Just finished The Falls by Joyce Carol Oates. Amazing, easily her best work since Blonde. I am currently reading Case Histories by Kate Atkinson, which seems very promising so far.

Other holiday reads:

Just One Look by Harlan Coben (great pace, very much a pageturner)
    Trading Up by Candace Bushnell (very Judith Krantz-y, but I did enjoy some of the observations the author makes about the New York social scene. But the heroine was very unlikable, and it's not exactly well-written. Still, a fun beach read I imagine.)
    The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold (wonderful)
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by Verg
    Currently reading "The Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood. It's my fourth book of hers, I believe.

She's pure brilliance.
    to the FoRT, Verg!
    Let us know what you think of it. I've passed it on to many friends and family members, and we all agree that it's brilliant social commentary. It's my favorite Margaret Atwood, although I also loved Oryx and Crake.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I finished Divison in Death - JD Robb last night. Enjoyable as always. Then I picked up Too Much Temptation by Lori Foster. *whew.. fanning myself* It was quiet um explicit and thoroughly enjoyable for a light, brain-freeing read. I finished it about an hour ago. I couldn't put it down.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I finished Odd Thomas. It was...not bad. Not bad. I'm still not a Koontz fan, but I liked this one and Life Expectancy.

ETA: I'll be returning either to Quicksilver or Digital Fortress.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I'm 70 pages into Andres Dubus III House of Sand and Fog, and it's a page turner for me. I haven't seen the movie though we own the DVD. I think I'll watch this weekend once I have finished the book.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Too funny...the woman who told me about it is a huge Colin Farrell fan. I wonder if I should break the news to her.

No Best Buy here in the boondocks. I'm going to try an Amazon search when I get home. One of your favourites, Broadway? Does it stick to the original story?
    Oops.. just coming back in here.

IIRC, it stays fairly close to the book. The main difference, however, is how the Saffron Burrows/Colin Firth (ooooh, is that who you were talking about, AJ?) storyline develops. The movie doesn't have them meeting up in the little cottage a great deal like in the book... they place it mainly in a hotel room meeting.

I haven't watched it in quite a long time, however. Foggy memory might be at work here.

I just finished reading the latest installment of the Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan series.

Now I'm going to start reading Memoirs of a Geisha. I've heard it was good and I'd like to read it before the movie comes out in December.

+ Reply to Thread