+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree245Likes

Thread: What are you reading?

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    I have a question about graphic novels as well. The library near me has some of the "The Sandman" comics, and they look like they might be worth a read (ok, so the covers look cool ). Has anyone here ever read that series, and if so, what did you think of it?
    Do you want to hear something funny, haejin? All this time, I've looked at your avatar, and I've wondered whether it's a representation of "Dream" or "Death" from the Sandman graphic novels. So, of course, I've wondered why you didn't jump in when we've discussed Gaiman or Sandman.

To answer your question, let me put it this way. Asking people who read graphic novels what they think of Sandman is like asking a baseball fan what he or she thinks of Babe Ruth, or asking a cinema buff what he or she thinks of The Godfather.

Sandman is a classic.

Sandman is the book we show to people who laugh at us for reading "comic books," to prove that comics aren't just for kids.

First of all, most of the covers you see were photographed (!) and painted by an artist named Dave McKean. Click here to learn more about McKean.

Secondly, may I recommend my post to Dinahann from just a few days ago. I summarize Sandman the best that I can and also list the ten graphic novels in chronological order. It may prove to be a good point of reference.

Finally, if I may be so bold, if your avatar represents a slightly gothic outlook on life, I'm willing to bet you're going to like Sandman. I know many, many gothic folk who like Sandman who wouldn't ordinarily touch a comic book.

Oh, and all you people who have expressed an interest in graphic novels: get thee to the "Comic Books" thread under "Books" started by SnowflakeGirl and we'll tawk some more.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Great post, phat! I will definitely pick one of volumes (hopefully the first) of "Sandman" up the next time I go to the library.

Heh..I don't think my view of the world is very gothic, but I guess I can be a bit cynical (now that I think of it, aren't they the same thing? ). Actually, the person in my avatar is Sadako, from the movie "Ringu" (though which has been remade quite a few times in different countries and is best known in the US as "The Ring"). I've also read the book (and some of the manga series) that the movies were based on (in my Ring-obsessed phase ).

No, I'm not really trying to promote the "Ring" series (which I thought was pretty good, by the way)....
    Last edited by haejin; 01-02-2005 at 09:06 PM.
    Gustav Holst was right!

Quote Originally Posted by haejin
    Great post, phat! I will definitely pick one of volumes (hopefully the first) of "Sandman" up the next time I go to the library.

Heh..I don't think my view of the world is very gothic, but I guess I can be a bit cynical (now that I think of it, aren't they the same thing? ). Actually, the person in my avatar is Sadako, from the movie "Ringu" (though which has been remade quite a few times in different countries and is best known in the US as "The Ring"). I've also read the book (and some of the manga series) that the movies were based on (in my Ring-obsessed phase ).

No, I'm not really trying to promote the "Ring" series (which I thought was pretty good, by the way)....
    If you come crawling out of my monitor because you want "Everyone [to] suffer," I will feel most put-out.

If you like intelligent, interesting writing coupled with artwork with dark overtones, I think you will like Sandman very, very much.

You strike me as an intelligent young woman; give the books a shot. What have you got to lose except a few hours? I would love to hear what you think.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Phat... I've actually started reading "The Golden Compass" on my bus ride in this morning and, after 20 pages, I can already tell that I am going to love it.

Get In The Van, by Henry Rollins. Not your typical rock n' roll autobiography, but then again Henry's not your typical celebrity. He says he doesn't like the Jim Morrison comparisons but aside from Morrison's substance abuse problems, the two are startingly similar. I expected the book to be a lotta sex, drugs, and rock n' roll (well, OK, punk rock, but you know what I mean), but it's suprisingly thoughtful and insightful, particularly given Henry's young age at the time - it chronicles Black Flag's touring history from '81 to '85, when he was in his early 20's. Along with the Jim Morrison biography No One Here Gets Out Alive (sorry, Henry) this may be one of the best rock n' roll books ever.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    Get In The Van, by Henry Rollins. Not your typical rock n' roll autobiography, but then again Henry's not your typical celebrity. He says he doesn't like the Jim Morrison comparisons but aside from Morrison's substance abuse problems, the two are startingly similar. I expected the book to be a lotta sex, drugs, and rock n' roll (well, OK, punk rock, but you know what I mean), but it's suprisingly thoughtful and insightful, particularly given Henry's young age at the time - it chronicles Black Flag's touring history from '81 to '85, when he was in his early 20's. Along with the Jim Morrison biography No One Here Gets Out Alive (sorry, Henry) this may be one of the best rock n' roll books ever.
    Hmmm, this sounds interesting - I like Henry Rollins. I didn't know he'd written a book.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Right now I'm reading the Casteel series by VC Andrews. Total fluff but I love it. heh.
    "I only run if I'm being chased" (Dominique- Making the Band 3)

Don't you mean Harvey Rollins AJane?? - ask Texicana she'll laugh her butt off.

I stopped reading VC Andrews when she died, I don't like her ghost writer, she's too formulaic. My Sweet Audrina was her best work. IMO a good bit of fluff

I just finished Too Good to be True by Sheila O'Flanagan. I was bored to death. 416 pages of drivel that Harlequin can churn out in 110 pages.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

That Harvey has the soul of a poet

I think Henry Rollins has a few books out?
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

:phhht Nothing wrong with a muscle-bound, tattooed poet. I imagine he doesn't live in the shed anymore, though.

How can you not like a guy who's described like this?
    Details magazine said when it named Rollins the 1994 Man of the Year: "through two decades of rage and discipline, Henry Rollins has transformed himself from an L.A. punk rocker into a universal soldier. His enemies: slackers and hypocrites. His mission: to steel your soul and rock your world."
    Anyway, yeah, he has several books out. I'm still devastated I couldn't see him on his last speaking tour that made it out to my neck of the woods...no one would go with me. :rolleyes If anyone else has read his other stuff PM me...I want to read some more but I'm not sure what to choose first.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

+ Reply to Thread