+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Books About War (Fiction/Non-Fiction)

Quote Originally Posted by grantaire02
    Nausica-- I remember being a total book dork in elementary school and ordering a million books off of the Scholastic books order form or something...I was 9 or 10 years old and I ordered "Maus"-- I remember it disturbing me very much as I had also recently read (in elementary school that year) "Devil's Arithmatic"..."Maus" is incredible, I re-read it just this past year.
    And I'm still a total book dork (along w/ being a film dork and a music dork. ) Glad you liked "Maus" - but reading it as a 9 year old
    We seem to have similar tastes in some things, but not in others (um, namely...CLAY )

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Just started reading Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides. It is an absolutely terrific read. I wouldn't be surprised to see it made into a movie someday soon. It is the true story of the rescue of the American POWs who survived the Bataan Death March.
    I've read that book as well; it is an excellent read. Of course, the fact that the whole story takes place in my country doesn't exactly make me an impartial critic.

Who could forget War & Peace?

Actually, it's a Tolstoy I haven't read (I'm not Tolstoy's #1 fan, that's for sure-- I prefer Dostoyevsky, if I had to pick)...there's a LOT of Tolstoy I haven't read....! LOL!

I've really enjoyed Stephen Ambrose's books, particularly Band of Brothers. Great book and excellent miniseries if you get the chance to watch it.

While I don't recall who the author is, At Dawn We Slept is a great accounting of Pearl Harbor.

I totally agree with you about the Band of Brothers miniseries. It was really powerful. I just bought the book, but I haven't started reading it yet.

Currently reading "Pearl Harbor; Final Judgement" By Henry Claussen and Bruce Lee

Anyone else have any good reads about Pearl Harbor?
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I haven't read anything on Pearl Harbor, unless we're counting the bias textbooks I read in school!

By Blood Possessed by Elena Santangelo is a pretty good Civil War mystery, though. It is mostly fiction but it also incorporates a lot of factual evidence to suggest that it might have been true, indeed. I believe it was very well written.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

FORT Fan
    I agree with "The Winds of War" and "War and Rememberance" by Herman Wouk. I would also add "Battle Cry" by Leon Uris (his first), which is about a group of marines from their time in traning together in San Diego through their battles in the pacific. All these years later...I still love those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    I haven't read anything on Pearl Harbor, unless we're counting the bias textbooks I read in school!

By Blood Possessed by Elena Santangelo is a pretty good Civil War mystery, though. It is mostly fiction but it also incorporates a lot of factual evidence to suggest that it might have been true, indeed. I believe it was very well written.
    Ixcrisxi,

Since I have been removed from high school for SEVERAL years, can you elaborate on the bias that you refer to in your post. I am interested in the topic of “rewriting history” in the context of public education.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Well, Blue Meanie! I'll be glad to fill you in! In my old American History & Civics book, there is only a small presence of lost battles. When we studied anything to do with the U.S., it was in favor of the U.S. rather than of other countries. This is understandable because we are students in an American school. No offense to my American forefathers (sp?) but I want to learn about the U.S. blunders. We can't be a totally flawless country. That is truly impossible. There are some things everyone learns about, such as slavery... What about the losses we had in war and politics (guess that led to war, in some cases)? We never delve into mistakes made my the U.S.

We don't want our children becoming Anti-American, do we? Of course not! So, we teach them everything good and skim through the bad stuff so they don't go into a low morale state when it comes to their homeland. I mean, of course we want them paying taxes and working for our military or government, right? Can't have anyone conspiring a revolution at age 16! No, no... Kind-of an extremist viewpoint but it is certinaly true to most of the textbooks in school that I receive. Why else would they not want to print the negation of the "American Dream?"
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast