+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer reading list

Just finished "A Widow for One Year" by John Irving as recommended by both Bill and Sher. It was really good. I laughed. I cried. I really enjoyed this book.

Next on my list is "Cold Mountain" by Charles Frazier then "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. I have heard that both of these are great.

I hope you enjoy your vacation.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Wow, I'll be busy. Thanks for all the reccomendations, I'll check them out tomorrow when I'm in Chapters and pick up a couple.

I know duckgirl already went on vacation, but I wanted to reply about "Confederacy of Dunces". I read that book in college but I still think about it. I've never read a book where the main character was so unlikeable and despicable, yet by the end of the book he's really the only likeable character. If only John Kennedy O'Toole had not killed himself. He had an incredible talent and poured it all into this one, intense book.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I know duckgirl already went on vacation, but I wanted to reply about "Confederacy of Dunces". I read that book in college but I still think about it. I've never read a book where the main character was so unlikeable and despicable, yet by the end of the book he's really the only likeable character. If only John Kennedy O'Toole had not killed himself. He had an incredible talent and poured it all into this one, intense book.
    Okay, I wanted to put in my two cents here. I will stick to recommending lighter reading, since the Mayor of Casterbridge is my next read--in preparation for the new A&E original movie--after I finish War and Peace. I seem to get my heavy reading done in the hot months.

I recommend:

The Pleasure of Believing by Anastasia Hobbett

The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell

North of Hope by Jon Hassler

Cats Eye by Margaret Atwood

Mariette in Ecstasy by Ron Hansen

Island of the Sequined Love Nun by Christopher Moore

Where in the World is Joe Merchant? by Jimmy Buffett

Rachael--who reads everything from Steinbeck to Atwood to Camus to Binchy.

OK guys, I'm back. I only bought two books, I was going to buy three but ended up with White Oleander and About A Boy. I read WO, thought it was good. I plan to start AAB, um, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    About a Boy is excellent, it's by Nick Hornby (who also wrote High Fidelity).
    Anything by Nick Hornby is great. I love everything I've read of his. How to Be Good is sooo good... and if you've read or seen High Fidelity, you'll see that one of the characters from that story has a cameo.

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    OK guys, I'm back. I only bought two books, I was going to buy three but ended up with White Oleander and About A Boy. I read WO, thought it was good. I plan to start AAB, um, soon.

Very good choices.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12