+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (SPOILERS!)

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (SPOILERS!)

By popular request (well, two of us, anyway ), here's your thread to discuss the book. It amused the heck out of me to add the spoilers notice for a hundred-and-fifty-year-old book, but people need to be warned.
    Last edited by Paulie; 07-15-2003 at 03:47 PM.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Wa-hoo! Party time, Paulie! That is pretty good; the spoilers warning!

I'm only on chapter four at the moment...it can be slow going when I have to look up all these obscure words. How many trips to the dictionary did you have to make "whilst" reading it?

Definitely a few. And there were other times that I should've but didn't. The one new word I learned that I was really pleased with was "lachrymose." She uses it twice.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Fade to black
    I think I've always been reluctant to read this book because it would be too much like the Jane Austen book I read, which I found a terrible bore. So, Paulie, are you saying this is not that? A good read?
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

It's not a bore at all. It's a lively, entertaining read with a strong and witty heroine as the narrator.

Fade to black
    OK, thanks. I'll definitely look into reading it soon, maybe before the end of summer. I'll stay out of this thread though so as not to spoil my enjoyment of it. Discuss on!
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Great book! I read it for the first time a couple of years ago and just loved it.

I may have to pick it up again now.
    Men are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile as you see one tumble down the stairs.

I enjoyed this book thoroughly....liked it better than Wuthering Heights (her sister's book). A couple of pretty good movie versions have been released.

Jane Eyre was my favorite book in high school. I haven't read it since, but it's on my bookshelf at home, and I'm looking forward to reading it again.

I read this book at the very impressionable age of 13 and loved it (still do). But some of the circumstances surrounding Charlotte Bronte's life make me ambiguous about Jane Eyre (the character, that is). If people are just starting to read it I don't want to spoil their enjoyment of it so I'll leave it at that.

Charlotte Bronte was no Jane Austen. She was a generation later and scorned Jane Austen's "parlor" stories. Not me, though, I love Jane Austen's people-watching stories!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread