+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: English Corner

A tiny pet peeve of mine is when people insist on pronouncing "realtor"...Real-ah-tor. There is no magic A in the middle.

The pronunciation from the dictionary: (reel-ter, -tr) <-------not three syllables
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Fade to black
    Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    I'm v. protective of my my over-rated authors. Don't you make me diss Chuck Palahniuk or Don DeLillo or your beloved JT Leroy now.
    Oh I don't think JT is the best ever. He's just young and unique. I like that. Ulysses is the most praise worthy of Joyce's work. Really, in my opinion, the only thing that is.

Oh, this is supposed to be about grammar. I always say "they did good" instead of "they did well" - I know it's wrong, but without fail I'll always say it. Bad childhood habit I think, I'll correct it in time. I used to say "anyways" but finally forced myself after two years of catching it (and a girlfriend who constantly reminded me ) to say "anyway"
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    I used to say "anyways" but finally forced myself after two years of catching it (and a girlfriend who constantly reminded me ) to say "anyway"
    I have never written "anyways" my entire life but I'm guilty of saying it on occasion. Isn't it interesting how the rules of grammer that we cling to while writing are thrown out the window while speaking?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    A tiny pet peeve of mine is when people insist on pronouncing "realtor"...Real-ah-tor. There is no magic A in the middle.

The pronunciation from the dictionary: (reel-ter, -tr) <-------not three syllables
    This is becoming such a learning experience for me. I NEVER thought about that, but when I read your post, I of course said the word out loud. And, of course, I say it with three syllables.

The worst part is now I have the word stuck in my head, and I'm like Rainman over here, repeating it over and over and over again. Incorrectly, at that.

I've never read Joyce, I never intend to read Joyce...So, with that out of the way, I'd have to say that he sucks, or I would have read him

(just kidding about the sucks part)

Quote Originally Posted by hazyshadeof
    I used to say "anyways" but finally forced myself after two years of catching it (and a girlfriend who constantly reminded me ) to say "anyway"
    And hear I thought it was "anyhoo".
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I used to say "anyways" all the time.

Also used to start sentences with "though" instead of "although".

But my biggest spelling faux-pas has got to be this:until I was 11 years old, I spelled "naughty" the way it's pronounced: "knotty".

What an inauspicious beginning for a wannabe writer. *hangs head in shame* Definitely a memory I don't want to make to the dustjacket.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    But my biggest spelling faux-pas has got to be this:until I was 11 years old, I spelled "naughty" the way it's pronounced: "knotty".

What an inauspicious beginning for a wannabe writer. *hangs head in shame* Definitely a memory I don't want to make to the dustjacket.
    That reminds me of when I was in an elementary school spelling bee. It was the very first round and the word was 'girl'. I drew an absolute blank!!! Maybe it was performance anxiety, I don't know but I could not remember how to spell the stupid word. Since I was considered one of the smart kids, everyone thought I had blown it on purpose, just so I didn't have to stand up there. I was still humiliated.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Princess
    Humm... I made a search on the web for "as per", and landed on this site ("LINGUIST is a free resource, run by linguistics professors and graduate students, and supported entirely by your donations. ), where someone had posted a question about "as per":

Question:
    Is it correct to write "as per"? Example: As per Mary, I am not to
    bill the patient. My coworker says as and per are the same thing, and therefore it is redundant. Please advise. Thanks in advance.
    Replies:
    Think about it. What would a statement like your example above mean if you started it with "As Mary, ....." It would mean that on the days you are Mary, you are not to bill the patient but on the days you are George, presumably you can. So obviously your coworker is in error. As per means roughly, "according to", "following orders of",

Joseph F Foster, Ph D
    Assoc. Professor of Anthropology &
    Director of Undergraduate Studies
    Dept. of Anthropology
    U of Cincinnati, Ohio, USA 45221-0380
    Hi,
    This is a good example of "pompous", "pseudo-scientific" language...as I'm sure other members of the panel will have pointed out. "as" and "per" are certainly not redundant..."per" is actually a Latin preposition, but it has been "borrowed" into English. We use it in a number of expressions such as "20 miles per gallon", where it means "for each". It is also used in commercial English as in "per bearer" where it means "by". Finally, it is used in the Latin expression "per diem" (lit. by day). In Latin, "per" means "by"...
    Hope this helps!
    You're asking a style question rather than (strictly speaking) a
    linguistics question. You may also want to consult books or other
    resources on contemporary letter writing.

My objection to "as per" is more on the side of stilted language,
    rather than redundancy. It sounds quasi-legalistic, but as far as I
    know this construction has no special legal status. How about using
    something closer to ordinary language:

According to Mary, I am not to bill the patient.
    or
    Mary advises not billing this patient.
    Seems to me like "as per" is perfectly acceptable albeit a bit "unnecessary", and "per" is indeed the latin "per" as I thought - not an abbreviation of pursuant.

Leo
    Premium Member
    About the way to pronounce "nuclear", here's what Merriam-Webster says:

Though disapproved of by many, pronunciations ending in \-ky&-l&r\ have been found in widespread use among educated speakers including scientists, lawyers, professors, congressmen, U.S. cabinet members, and at least one U.S. president and one vice president. While most common in the U.S., these pronunciations have also been heard from British and Canadian speakers.

+ Reply to Thread