+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: English Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ixcrisxi
    I have never heard anyone here say that. It is "bear" with me or "bare" with me??

Depends....er....you askin'?

Just kidding. By the way, flustrated? Huh? Never heard of it. We stick to fantabulous words out west. Keep your craptastic lingo to yourself! (Actually that last one is courtesy of Bart Simpson.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Joyce is over-hyped and over-rated in my not so humble opinion. He puts me to sleep.
    I'm going to have to agree here. The GREATEST writer in English? Maybe in the top twenty, but I'm not a huge fan either.
    Nausicaa. Girl against the current. Defending the legacy and honour of Mr. Joyce against all ye of little faith.

Don't worry - I'm just being perverse. If people say Da Vinci is the greatest painter of all time, and I say Dali instead...well, who's going to dare to berate me for my lack of taste?

Anyway, you guys totally missed my original point.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    Nausicaa. Girl against the current. Defending the legacy and honour of Mr. Joyce against all ye of little faith.

Don't worry - I'm just being perverse. If people say Da Vinci is the greatest painter of all time, and I say Dali instead...well, who's going to dare to berate me for my lack of taste?

Anyway, you guys totally missed my original point.
    I dont think ( and I can only speak for myself) that because I disagree with your side point, that it means that I missed your original point. I'm assuming your original point was that people shouldn't get so worked up over "grammer/syntax/proNUNciation" because Mr. Joyce disregarded these very things with glee in many of his writings. That, in spite of his sometimes obscure use of the English language ("riverrun, past Eve and Adam's..."), he is still highly regarded in parts of the literary world.

Anyway, I wasn't so much disagreeing with you, but agreeing with hazyshade about his thoughts on J.J. I know several people who are devout Joyce fans and several people who don't care for him at all. Your analogy of Dali is excellent. Like Dali, people either love or hate Joyce. There should really be a thread to debate the merits of authors I believe we could go back and forth for awhile.

Anyway, back to English. I have apparently uncovered a bastardized word that is regional. Does anyone else have weird word or phrase usage that might be regional?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Stargazer, I think I like "flustrated". Its kinda cute. Like a "spork" - one of those plastic spoons with the fork prongs.

I haven't read this whole thread, so maybe this has been covered already. I absolutely CANNOT stand it when people pronounce the word "escape" as "ex-cape". And "ax" instead of "ask" makes me crazy as well.

As far as the "nuclear" vs. "nuke-yuh-ler" issue - I have always believed that it should be said "nu-clee-ur". However, when our beloved president (gag) said "nuke-yuh-ler", a friend told me that it has become acceptable to pronounce it either way.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Fade to black
    I was merely saying Joyce is over-rated. Your other points were right on, and usually are.
    I know someday you'll have a beautiful life, I know you'll be a star in somebody else's eyes... but why... why... why can't it be me?

On the nuclear bit, I believe there is only one correct pronunciation. It's a big pet peeve of mine, which is why I was infurtiated when our president mispronounced it many times in a State of the Union address that is heard by countries all over the world.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Another oft-mispronounced word is "jaguar." I hope President Bush doesn't feel the need to discuss jaguars in any future State of the Union address because I'm certain he'd call them "jag-wires." *shudder*
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Hazyshadeof, it's okay if you don't like Joyce. "The Dubliners" is definitely over-rated, and "Finnegans Wake" gives me a huge headache. It's just "Ulysses" that blows me away, though, even though I don't understand half of what it means.

I'm v. protective of my my over-rated authors. Don't you make me diss Chuck Palahniuk or Don DeLillo or your beloved JT Leroy now.

"Flustrated" is kind of a cool word, methinks. It's not called...spoonerism...is it (or is that the other kind...?)

"Nuke-lee-ur", dammit! Please, please, GWB, say it right.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie
    Another oft-mispronounced word is "jaguar." I hope President Bush doesn't feel the need to discuss jaguars in any future State of the Union address because I'm certain he'd call them "jag-wires." *shudder*
    I'm afraid I'm guilty of that one. As soon as it passes my lips, I know I've said it wrong again. I guess its the little bit of bumpkin coming out in me.

Onetv-You've hit on one of my pet peeves "ex cape," arghh! Drives me nuts, too.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    It's just "Ulysses" that blows me away, though, even though I don't understand half of what it means.
    Going to agree with you on that one. Outstanding piece of work, even if it takes years of study to understand it all.

+ Reply to Thread