+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: English Corner

Which verb would you use? Then add that other person in.

Duh. Which PRONOUN would you use? LOL

::running off to find brain in school bag::

Wow, I can't believe I didn't know this thread was here!!!!!!!!!

I'm glad someone clarified "a lot" and "definitely"...two of my biggest pet peeves.

The other is the use of "bad" and "badly". People say "I feel badly", which is extremely common, but also incorrect. If you say you feel badly, that is describing your capacity to feel, i.e., I am bad at feeling. "I feel bad" describes your current state of emotion/pain/health, et cetera.

I AM guilty as charged as one who uses "prolly". I know it's not a word, but...I just like it!

Princess
    OK. Another question for you: is it
    "I'll try and do this"
    or
    "I'll try to do this"
    I would think the latter. Curiously enough it's the same in Swedish - people often say the former, when the latter is the correct one.

Grammatically speaking, the second option is more correct. The first is acceptable, however, in conversation. For whatever reason.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    The other is the use of "bad" and "badly". People say "I feel badly", which is extremely common, but also incorrect. If you say you feel badly, that is describing your capacity to feel, i.e., I am bad at feeling. "I feel bad" describes your current state of emotion/pain/health, et cetera.
    I never knew that and it makes complete sense. I hope I've never said "I feel badly," though, it just sounds weird.

Grammargoddess = does that mean your a linguist? I married one of those. It's one of those life ironies. I hated diagramming sentences in high school English and I threw a lot of "I will never have to use this in real life!" tantrums about it. So of course I married someone who diagrams sentences for FUN!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Youse guys are making me feel so badly about my wife and I's use of the English language, I think I'm going to effect a quizzical look and lay down for a while. I should feel alot better after that.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    I never knew that and it makes complete sense. I hope I've never said "I feel badly," though, it just sounds weird.

Grammargoddess = does that mean your a linguist? I married one of those. It's one of those life ironies. I hated diagramming sentences in high school English and I threw a lot of "I will never have to use this in real life!" tantrums about it. So of course I married someone who diagrams sentences for FUN!
    No, I'm not a linguist, just someone to whom sentence diagramming, et cetera, was a piece of cake. I've had jobs where precise grammar was an absolute must and it stuck with me. I'm a resource manager for an aerospace company, but sometimes I wish I could edit some of the communications we distribute!!

Sometimes it's a curse - I make my share of mistakes and get called to the carpet on them...heh heh.

One of my other peeves, mostly related to business writing, is the use of "as per", which is incorrect. "Per" is correct and is short for "persuant to". I had a boss that insisted on using AS PER and I was just as insistant that he not. While I'm on a roll here, "with regards to" drives me nuts as well, when the correct usage is simply the word "regarding".

Ack, I might need therapy for this. Is it possible I manifest my inner obsessive-compulsions through correct grammar and spelling?

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    OK. Another question for you: is it
    "I'll try and do this"
    or
    "I'll try to do this"
    I would think the latter. Curiously enough it's the same in Swedish - people often say the former, when the latter is the correct one.
    You and Paulie were right - the latter is correct. The first is saying you will complete both actions - you will try AND you will do, so it sort of contradicts the intention.

That's a good one I've never really thought about.

Oh oh oh...I just thought of one that reared it's ugly head today at work. Someone said, "I wish I would of brought my laptop powercord." It's would have...or could have...or should have.

Are we having fun yet?

John, I can tell that took natural talent.

GG, engineers are notorious for their written communication skills. I used to do technical service for a nuts & bolts kind of product. Most of our engineers were using English as a second language. The weirdest usage I can remember was a sentence that started "In avertanly". Eventually I figured out it meant "inadvertently". (I hope I spelled that right!)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Holy crap, I'm scared to post in this thread.
    Who shot who in the what now?

+ Reply to Thread