+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 17 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: English Corner

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    I wonder why his Auntie doesn't like Carolyn? That's my name! Oh well, I like it
    No! Your name is Star! Star Gazer! That is your name...isn't it?

But seriously, Carolyn is a perfectly fine name. I think maybe John's "Auntie" just doesn't want to think of him as a bonafide grown-up and therefore insists on the "Auntie" moniker.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Oh, that's right. My name is Star I forgot myself for a moment
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    No! Your name is Star! Star Gazer! That is your name...isn't it?

But seriously, Carolyn is a perfectly fine name. I think maybe John's "Auntie" just doesn't want to think of him as a bonafide grown-up and therefore insists on the "Auntie" moniker.
    Reckon she still spanks him? Oh, that was bad.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Reckon she still spanks him? Oh, that was bad.
    I hope not! (And yes, that was bad, but hopefully John will forgive us...)

(just in case)
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by oneTVslave
    I hope not! (And yes, that was bad, but hopefully John will forgive us...)

(just in case)
    with the sheep (as Lucy scrambles to drink her Koolaid like a good girl)
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by SCRUMPOT
    I need some help on this. My boyfriend and I have a friendly banter on this. Is my uncle married to my "aunt" or "ant" (spelled aunt)? He says aunt and I say ant. Potatoe, potato........
    Now I say it "aunt" but when I was younger I would say it "ant".

Princess
    ant - US pronounciation
    aunt - British pronounciation

Seems that the British pronounciation is more common in New England and among older people. (In my little experience )

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Sorry, Duxxy, but "irregardless" drives me NUTS!
    Why are you sorry? I practically have to bite my tongue to keep from correcting the poor sole who uses irregardless
    Can't stand it!
    I have a real problem with the word ain't - I know it's now recognized as a word but it sounds harsh to my ear.
    Another pet peeve of mine is: my wonderful husband says "it don't matter" instead of "it doesn't matter" It makes me shudder. seriously. *grit teeth now*

I think my love/hate relationship with words really started in grade 5 when I was humiliated by my teacher for using 'brung' instead of brought. I vowed that I would never be laughed at again for misusing words. My spelling.... well that's a whole 'nuther story

ETA: oh! I almost forgot ATE is the past tense of EAT. There is no such frikking word as Aten! OK? :rolleyes

ok I'm on a bitch roll right now
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Princess
    I have a real problem with the word ain't
    I happen to like "ain't" - it's one of those oldies and goodies. Many people seem to think that it's a new and vulgar thing. It's not. It's rather a reminisence of working class British English that remained alive within the US working class (especially with the black ppl).

Ain't has a long history of controversy. It first appeared in 1778, evolving from an earlier an't, which arose almost a century earlier as a contraction of are not and am not. In fact, ain't arose at the tail end of an era that saw the introduction of a number of our most common contractions, including don't and won't. But while don't and won't eventually became accepted at all levels of speech and writing, ain't was to receive a barrage of criticism in the 19th century for having no set sequence of words from which it can be contracted and for being a “vulgarism,” that is, a term used by the lower classes, although an't at least had been originally used by the upper classes as well. At the same time ain't's uses were multiplying to include has not, have not, and is not, by influence of forms like ha'n't and i'n't. It may be that these extended uses helped fuel the negative reaction. Whatever the case, criticism of ain't by usage commentators and teachers has not subsided, and the use of ain't is often regarded as a sign of ignorance. ·But despite all the attempts to ban it, ain't continues to enjoy extensive use in speech. Even educated and upper-class speakers see no substitute in folksy expressions such as Say it ain't so and You ain't seen nothin' yet. ·The stigmatization of ain't leaves us with no happy alternative for use in first-person questions. The widely used aren't I? though illogical, was found acceptable for use in speech by a majority of the Usage Panel in an earlier survey, but in writing there is no acceptable substitute for the stilted am I not?
    Ain't

(Not to be nitpicky, Duxxy, but "poor sole".... poor fish... I assume you meant "poor soul" )

PS: I won't bug anyone about spelling or grammar outside this particular thread, but in this one I expect everyone (especially me!!) to want to learn .
    Last edited by Modesty; 11-20-2003 at 05:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I have real trouble getting past irregardless and dethaw
    I guess they are more malapropisms than grammatical errors

Dethaw - I like that one - not! I don't know if I ever heard thatbefore. I just almost fell out of my chair when I read it

Wouldn't that mean freeze?

Irregardless -that one's just the result of stupid people trying to sound intelligent.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

+ Reply to Thread