+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: English Corner

Embracing the Inner Geek museumguy's Avatar
    Am a big fan of Olivia Newton John, but I never knew where I was going to. I still don't...

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    correct someone's grammar unless they've ask you to do so

Grammar Goddess, As you can tell by most of my posts, I'm not a stickler for grammar or spelling, But I couldn't resist bringing up one error I noticed in your last post here. I think you mixed tenses. Shouldn't you have said ..unless they've asked...?

BTW I'm sure I messed up my punctuation here (probably should've had a semi colon instead of a comma in there somewhere.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Princess
    BTW I'm sure I messed up my punctuation here (probably should've had a semi colon instead of a comma in there somewhere.
    Not to mention the end paranthesis!

Oh dear, no-one is going to dare to post in this thread again!

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere
    Grammar Goddess, As you can tell by most of my posts, I'm not a stickler for grammar or spelling, But I couldn't resist bringing up one error I noticed in your last post here. I think you mixed tenses. Shouldn't you have said ..unless they've asked...?

Meh, I'll post; I ain't skeered. I'm guessing that's a classic typo. Either that or my brain and my typing fingers just didn't sync. I type way too fast and I know I was trying to multi-task when I posted that. Sometimes I proof before or after I post and edit when I catch an error and sometimes I don't.

I really don't know EVERYTHING about grammar. I got this nickname from work because I used to review real estate appraisals and the appraiser would make up words (like trangency) and it drove me insane. To be honest, he was a male chauvinist pig and I really just enjoyed finding errors and making him change them. At that job, my greatest joy was handing back an appraisal that was BLEEDING, I'd marked it so much with my trusty red pen. The day he told me that the decline of American family values was a direct result of women in the workplace just sorta struck a nerve with me and I had to empower myself in the only way available. I guess that discussion is for a whole other thread.

My big problem lately is the keyboard on one of my laptops is shorting out and the shift key seems to be the most affected. My sister called me to the carpet on it because I hadn't capitalized a single word when I was chatting with her. At first it really bothered me and I would go back and correct it all. Since we were chatting real-time, I got over it and decided to really live life on the edge and not capitalize.

GG-Just a quick note of agreement. It is so difficult for me to go into chat rooms. I can't bring myself to use all of the shorthand and lingo. Two of my worst pet peeves in chat rooms:
    kewl-cool (why this? It doesn't take any less time to type.)
    u-you (ARG! Again, why?)

I also don't understand the people who seem to use their shift keys sporadically.
    lIKe, Y dO THeY bOThER 2 UsE oNe @ aLL?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

The "u" thing gets to me more than the kewl thing. Sometimes when I verbally say "cool", I say it just like that. Sometimes I verbally say "kewl"...depending on to whom I am speaking.

I guess I just find it more difficult to type some of the slang because I have to seriously think about what I'm typing...like ne1 or l8r. I tend to subconsciously just type stuff...I don't like to have to stop and think about what I'm typing!

I am thinking I should shorten my name here to GG...heh heh. I seem to be an easy target for corrections....bahahahahahahah ahahahaha and some of them have been really embarrassing! I'm not a Grammar Nazi.

Princess
    To be honest, he was a male chauvinist pig and I really just enjoyed finding errors and making him change them. At that job, my greatest joy was handing back an appraisal that was BLEEDING, I'd marked it so much with my trusty red pen. The day he told me that the decline of American family values was a direct result of women in the workplace...
    Ouch! Sounds like NO fun!! Sadly I've been there, done that (got the tee). Very draining and negative all in all.
    I got over it and decided to really live life on the edge and not capitalize.
    Last edited by Modesty; 11-15-2003 at 01:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GrammarGoddess
    I guess I just find it more difficult to type some of the slang because I have to seriously think about what I'm typing...like ne1 or l8r. I tend to subconsciously just type stuff...I don't like to have to stop and think about what I'm typing!
    Yes, I have that problem as well. It isn't easier for me because I have to think, "Now, is it l8ter or l8er? Oh, yes. There's a "t" in eight, so that means that I don't need one."

See, too complicated. It's easier for me to type out my thoughts.

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Maybe the CIA could start using web-slang as a secret code? God knows, I can't understand half of it sometimes.

No kidding. I'm always turning to my hacker husband asking what some seemingly random combination of letters and numbers mean. They might as well be speaking Gaelic.

+ Reply to Thread