+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

Princess
    Thanks Surfer! I've never even heard about the Wheel Of Time - but then again, I've really never been into fantasy per se; it's good though to get some tips of new books that I'd probably not have been able to find otherwise.
    I really like this thread & the "best"-movies threads!

Queen of all boards
    Well, these books, like tolkein's go off on landscape tangents sometimes..but if you can get past that, they are really good...at least to me..
    Life is a game, play hard.

Well, being the eclectic nut case that I am, my vast library is full of books that would undoubtedly classify me as a geek...but....

I just finished Salt: A World History, by Mark Kurlansky. It is a look at how salt has shaped and influenced world events...mainly in the early times of course. I am just getting started on Guns, Germs, and Steel, by Jared Diamond, which looks at very interesting questions (in my opinion ) around why certain civilizations advanced in ways that led to dominance, while others with similar resources and food supplies did not.

I mainly read non-fiction, but will read anything fiction by John Irving (World According to Garp, Cider House Rules, and Hotel New Hamshire among others) as he wrote my favorite book, A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Yes...I am a geek.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

Princess
    What!??? I'm a geek?? No way!! :mad:
    That book Salt, sounded like very interesting!
    And Hotel New Hampshire, it's one of my fav. movies, altough I've never read the book. (Liked Garp very much too).
    Pray tell when you finished Guns, Germs, and Steel and let us know how it was!

Originally posted by Modesty
    That book Salt, sounded like very interesting!
    And Hotel New Hampshire, it's one of my fav. movies, altough I've never read the book. (Liked Garp very much too).
    Salt was great. He also wrote a book on a similar theme called Cod, which looked at the fish in world history. He really has a good writing style that weaves in a lot of facts in an entertaining manner.

The movie Hotel New Hamshire? Ah yes, Jody Foster and Rob Lowe.

Irving's written work doesn't always translate well to the screen, and I think that is because he can take a hundred pages just to build up to a scene. In A Prayer for Owen Meany, he took almost 200 pages of character development before he really began the story, but the last page of the book is worth it.

But he is a very, very twisted writer. Garp the movie was pretty true to the work, but Hotel New Hampshire missed a bunch of relatively crazy family stuff, and I personally feel that the movie version of Cider House Rules completely missed the point of the book, which was a focus on abortion.

If you like non-fiction, try Case Closed by Gerald Posner. It is a thorough look at the JFK assassination that debunks the silliness of Oliver Stone's JFK movie, among other theories. It is extremely well written and sourced.

For just crazy thinking, try Fingerprints of the Gods by Graham Handcock, which looks at the remarkable consistency in the buildings of the Inca's and Egyptians, along with polar magnetic shifts, and other out there theories. But again, great writing, well documented.

Gee, I wrote a book just talking about books...
    Last edited by Bill; 11-03-2002 at 12:35 AM.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.

Princess
    huh?? :
    Oh sorry! I fully concede the geek title to you Modesty!
    I thought I said I was not a geek!?

Thanks for the reading tips anyway!

Originally posted by Modesty
    huh?? :

I thought I said I was not a geek!?

Thanks for the reading tips anyway!

Sorry, I was saying that my reading selections were geeky, and I thought that you were arguing that.

I shall edit my post for correction!

Princess
    Oh, no! Pls don't edit...! I'm just saying that no-one is a geek here imo!

Princess
    Bill - you edited! Now nothing above makes any sense whatsoever!? (Not that it did before, but anyway....)

Princess
    Another good book I've read lately: "Nickel and Dimed", by Barbara Ehrenreich.

+ Reply to Thread