+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

Has anyone here tried ordering out of print books from Amazon.com? There are about a dozen books they have available that I would love to order but I don't quite understand the process. Can anyone tell me if they had a good or bad experience with ordering out of print books from independents on the Amazon.com website?

Princess
    Thanks PKeeper! (What's the Revelation (in the Bible) really about? - Never finished the book (the B)... )

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    I am sorry, Wayner, that you found the last one disappointing. I will start it likely next week. Most of the others I have found to be page-turners, with maybe one or two exceptions.
    I guess I was a little fuzzy in my last post - it wasn't just the last book that I found the writing to be disappointing; it is the entire series. Don't get me wrong, I find them to be enjoyable - if I didn't I wouldn't have read all ten. I like the concept, and I burn through each of them in a few days. I just don't think that they are very well written; some of the dialog is just bad. The times I think the dialog is stronger is when one of the characters is giving a sermon; it's obvious that the writers know their stuff when it comes to that.

PKeeper
    Thanks PKeeper! (What's the Revelation (in the Bible) really about? - Never finished the book (the B)... )
    The Book of Revelation is a series of End-of-Time prophecies written by the Apostle John while in exile on the island of Patmos.

Princess
    I see. Thanks. I suppose he didn't much else to do out there...
    Would he have had access to TV & internet he would no doubt have been watching Survivor, TAT, and Bachelor, and post his predictions on this excellent board! (No offence, just couldn't resist... )

I just finished the latest Dirk Pitt novel by Clive Cussler.As usual it was very interesting and well written but i have to wonder how many more evil plots and lost treasures can he find.

I am a voracious reader and have around 5000 books on the shelves in my bedroom.I never get rid of them and every once in a while i will reread a whole series like i am doing now.

The Survivalist by Jerry Ahern
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

tvj, I'm a bookreading junkie, too. I have hundreds of books - I'd have more, but my wife got sick of me spending the money on them, and we didn't really have the room for them, so I started using the library.

If I like an author, I'll read everything he or she has written, before that book, and then mark it down in case they publish a new one.

Same here John.

When i go into a bookstore i check out for new books by about 20 authors before i start browsing through the general sections.
    Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...till you can find a rock.

FORT Fanatic

I am an Ayn Rand Junkie

I have read pretty much every thing she has written. I just finished reading Atlas Shrugged---for the 2nd time last week. I would have to say, that book exemplifies how I want to live my life and the type of person I want to be. I wasn't as crazy about The Fountainhead.....but I suspect that's because I read Atlas first.

I also really enjoyed all of the Harry Potter books. They are just adorable. I can't wait for Book 5.

The next book on my roster to read is Tom Clancy's The Sum of All Fears. I won't let myself see the movie until I read the book....A rule that kinda ruined the Harry Potter movie for me....but hey....Gotta love books, right?

I enjoyed Atlas Shrugged, too, Roshi. Read it years ago. Took me a while to get into it, but it hooked me soon enough.

Ditto Harry Potter. I quit after the first page the first time I tried. Next time I tried, I just swept through 'em! I can't believe that Rowling has been able to make each book better than the last. The Goblet of Fire was the best one yet. Book 5 is delayed, I guess. She's busy being married, getting knocked up, and having writer's block.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

+ Reply to Thread