+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    Not too long ago I read I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. It was a very good book.
    Everytime I think of this book I chuckle. My wife read it when we were first married.

Fast forward to New Years Eve about a year later. My buddy and I are playing one of those "Battle of the Sexes" type games, where you are asked questions that the opposite sex should know. The wives keep getting fishing and sports questions and are getting killed. My friend and I are getting the easy stuff; cooking, etc. Finally, my friend's wife selects a question and says "Hah! They'll NEVER get this one. Who wrote the Oprah Book Club book "She's Come Undone"? "Crap" my wife said. I nailed it. We won.

That is a great story! I will probably never forget it. I love a good Whammo!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Princess
    I've been re-reading "The Lord of the Rings" and "Silmarillion" lately. Actually started before I even knew they were going to make these movies. They are really very good.
    Finally also read "Alice in Wonderland", the annotated version - brilliant! Had read some Swedish not annotated version ages ago, but original language makes big difference.
    Trying to remember the titles of some other books I've been reading lately, but they escape my memory right now and I've given them to other people to read since so I'll have to do some research.
    Mdrio, Neville Shute is a great author, but I recall finding the books somewhat depressing. "On the Beach" was good, so was "Pied Piper".
    Oh, just recalled, I did also re-read the annotated version of "Gulliver's Travels" - talk about brilliant! Jonathan Swift may have been a miser, but did he know how to write!!??

I just started reading "The Traveling Vampire Show" by Richard Layton. (another RL book, like I said, I'm on a hook right now)

It's kind of similar in style to Stephen King's "The Body" (which became Stand By Me)...A group of kids off on an exploration.

PKeeper
    I read "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy (including the Hobbit - I would love it if they also made a movie on the Hobbit.) this past winter after seeing the movie. Very enjoyable. I can't wait until this December when "The Two Towers" hits the theaters.

Modesty, how are you liking "Silmarillion"? When I finished The Return of the King, I trie to read through some of the Middle Earth historical stuff and found way too dry to keep awake.

I followed up the Trilogy with a seven book series called "The Mitford Series" by Jan Karon. It is about the life and times in a Mayberry RFD like town in the mountains of North Carolina. Very good writing. I have read various this summer, I read about 2 a month.

The next book I will be reading is "The Remnant" which is the latest release in the growing ten book "Left Behind" series.

I'm trying to slog my way through The Lord of the Rings. I'm not enjoying it as much as I feel like I should be. Too little characterization, too many plot devices, not enough resourceful actions by the heros. I know the focus of the books is in describing this particular world to us, but I'm hooked on the current popular trend in literature for characters to have unique personalities that drive the plot.

I know I'm kind of in the minority on this one because the series is so well-loved the world over. I'm not trying to start a debate. Just sharing the minority opinion with folks.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    The next book I will be reading is "The Remnant" which is the latest release in the growing ten book "Left Behind" series.
    PKeeper, I finished "The Remnant" a few months ago. I find the concept of the "Left Behind" series very interesting; I know next to nothing about the book of Revalations and I find their interpretation interesting. However, I have to say that I've found the writing itself to be very disappointing. I guess I keep reading because my wife keeps buying them.

Princess
    Modesty, how are you liking "Silmarillion"? When I finished The Return of the King, I trie to read through some of the Middle Earth historical stuff and found way too dry to keep awake.
    PKeeper, I read the trilogy the first time when I was about 12-13, and I loved them - but then, I'd always loved fairy tales, so that genre appealed much to me. My parents later gave me Silmarillon, and I didn't even finish it! BORING. I re-read the triolgy several times when I was in my teens, always seeing it as a "fairy tale". This time, I read it differently. Now I knew much more about Tolkien and his thinking, and I actually read his foreword to the books, and I also read all sentences and all words (instead of skipping the "tedious" descriptions of the landscape etc.). It is still a fairy tale, but I appreciate it in a different way now as I for example now understand the moral dilemmas he is putting the characters into. I also did some reading on the web about it (a good place to read about it is "Green Books" at theonering.net, especially the wellwritten columns by "Anwyn" named Counterpoint: http://greenbooks.theonering.net/anwyn/index.html Their Q&A is pretty good to. Spoilerwarning on the entire site though... )
    So, to get back to your question: Yes, this time, when I understood it much better, I really enjoyed reading Silmarillon!

And Paulie: My mom fell asleep @ page 1, and haven't gotten any further yet! Fariy tales aren't about "getting to know the characters"! The point is that it's a fairy tale and like all fairy tales, ultimately about good vs. evil - like Star Wars for example.
    Really recommending the columns at the link above! (Spoiler warning though.)

Princess
    PKeeper/Wayner: What is "the concept of the "Left Behind" series"? Who is the author?

PKeeper
    PKeeper/Wayner: What is "the concept of the "Left Behind" series"? Who is the author
    The Left Behind series is a fictional epic based on the last book of the Bible - Revelation. THe authors are Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. LaHaye is likely the technical resource and Jenkins probably the creative artist.

There are current 10 books and, I think 7 more to come before it is all over. Each one IMO is a vary fast read.

I am sorry, Wayner, that you found the last one disappointing. I will start it likely next week. Most of the others I have found to be page-turners, with maybe one or two exceptions.

+ Reply to Thread