+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    Am finishing Jodi Picoult's "Plain Truth". I love her books and how her characters are so powerful.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

City of Glass (in fact, the whole New York Trilogy) by Paul Auster. So f***in' brilliant. And I don't even like mystery, but he's reinvented it.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    City of Glass (in fact, the whole New York Trilogy) by Paul Auster. So f***in' brilliant. And I don't even like mystery, but he's reinvented it.

I adore Paul Auster, so good on you. Have you read any of his others books? If not, I'd like to recommend Moon Palace, Leviathan or Oracle Night for your next Austerian excursion. It really is an excursion; starting a new Auster novel is like returning to a familiar but unpredictable landscape. Oh, and his wife, Siri Hustvedt, has written three wonderful books as well: What I Loved, The Blindfold and The Enchantment of Lily Dahl. They have a somewhat similar style when it comes to creating very atmospheric universes inside the novels, but they both bring something unique to it.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by geek the girl

I adore Paul Auster, so good on you. Have you read any of his others books? If not, I'd like to recommend Moon Palace, Leviathan or Oracle Night for your next Austerian excursion. It really is an excursion; starting a new Auster novel is like returning to a familiar but unpredictable landscape. Oh, and his wife, Siri Hustvedt, has written three wonderful books as well: What I Loved, The Blindfold and The Enchantment of Lily Dahl. They have a somewhat similar style when it comes to creating very atmospheric universes inside the novels, but they both bring something unique to it.
    Thank you, girl. No, I haven't read Auster before (it was a long time before I took my friend up on his recommendation, being leery of genre novels and all, but I'm so glad I did.) I'm taking note of your recs!

As a side note, his wife has one heck of an idiosyncratic name.

Uh-huh..yeah..riiiight... Warhol's Avatar
    I'm a big fan of narrative non-fiction (biographies and history told in the style of a story, rather than in a dry, textbook-like manner).

Some good books I've read recently:

"Brunelleschi's Dome : How a Renaissance Genius Reinvented Architecture" by Ross King (about the architect and construction of the cathedral dome in Florence)

"Isaac's Storm : A Man, a Time, and the Deadliest Hurricane in History" by Erik Larson (about the hurricane that hit Galveston, Texas in 1900 and the botched attempts to predict its path by the then newly-founded National Weather Service)

"The Battle of Stonington: Torpedoes, Submarines, and Rockets in the War of 1812" by James Tertius de Kay (about the unlikely victory of a small Connecticut town over the British navy)

All very good books if you like reading about history.

+ Reply to Thread