+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

ooh, i read high fidelity!!! it's a great read! i absolutely loved it. and i hate to say it because i love love love john cusack, but i wish they would have had an english actor starring as the lead, as the main character in the book isn't american at all.

that being said, i also own the movie on dvd.
    what?

it is john cusack, after all!

Sleeping with George W
    I'm reading Cold Mountain right now. Very slow going, but it's beautifully written, so I'm staying with it. I'm a sucker for anything that sounds good when read aloud and am as much into writing as I am into plot. Next up is White Oleander ... picked it up at Sam's last week since so many of you have recommended it!

Last summer I read Memoirs of a Geisha and really liked that. It's a chicks book, though (even if a man did write it!).

I read a LOT, but so much that I can't remember what I've recently read.

I just disovered the late Richard Laymon, who is similar in style and tone to Dean Koontz, who's my favorite author. I think I just finished something about Rain...And before that, The Island. I've got 3 more of his books ordered from Amazon, on the way. Right at the moment, I'm between books.

My wife reads the books after me, but she's a much slower reader, and doesn't read nearly as long as me at night, so she's got some serious catch-up to do. I've convinced her to break from her series of "Prey" books by John Sandford (excellent, by the way) to read Stephen King's "Different Seasons", which is a yellow-paged old book which has 4 short stories...."The Body", which became the movie "Stand By Me", "Rita Haworth and the Shawshank Redemption", which became y'alls favorite movie, but the book is a helluva lot better, "Apt Pupil", which also became a movie of the same name, and "The Breathing Method" which is my favorite story in the book, but too wierd to become a movie.

I like the old Stephen King...The Stand, Different Seasons, 'Salems Lot, etc. I love the way he USED to write.

Of course, Dean Koontz is getting the same way. Build up, build up, build up, fizzle.

Not too long ago I read I Know This Much is True by Wally Lamb. It was a very good book. I liked it as much as Daughter of Fortune. I will think of more later. Enjoy

The last book I read for pleasure was On The Beach by Nevil Shute. It's about people in the most southern part of Australia. There's been nuclear war in the northern hemisphere, and they will die within a number of minths due to all the aftermath of nuclear war. I really enjoyed it.

Currently, I'm reading A Man for All Seasons for English class. It's alright, I guess. It's a lot easier than The Canterbury Tales, that's for sure!

My brother borrowed my copy of On The Beach, Mdrio, before I could read it. Things he "borrows" typically never come back. Crap!

And, Eden, my wife read Cold Mountain. She said it was slow the entire way, but it was a very good book. Her dad loves that book. I'm going to have to read it sometime, if I ever find time to read now that I'm writing so much.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

The day I finish his last book is going to be a sad one for me - I've been reading his novels for over 20 years - nobody tells a story better.
    Yes, a sad day indeed. My bro introduced me to Steven King YEARS ago. The first one I read was Cujo... I cried for the dog. He just had a way of making you feel SO bad for him!

Although I agree to a point with you John , about his latest novels, I will read ANYTHING Steven King... even Dreamcatcher... whish took 500 pages to get going

Koontz is good, as is Sanford. I will give Laymon a read soon too, as by the looks of your post, we have the same likes in common!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

i finished icy sparks by gwyn hyman rubio last night. i really enjoyed it! and as i told lobeck, i immediately picked up naked by david sedaris and began reading! it makes me ! the guy is hysterical! takes ocd to a WHOLE different level than the things we discussed as our ocd practices!

i forgot, i also recently read the business plan for the body by jim karas. he's the fitness guy that helped diane sawyer lose her weight. i'm not really into the whole read a book to learn how to lose weight, etc., but i really liked this book. he teaches you about losing weight by applying more business principals. he was an financial advisor on wall street, i believe, and just changed careers to do this. he really takes all the myths and excuses out of weight loss. i liked it.

Glad you're enjoying "Naked", Sher......Promise me you'll think about reading "Me Talk Pretty One Day" as well, K?

lo, i'm going to have to read it! it will be my next book purchase!

+ Reply to Thread