+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

What the BLEEP do we know tigergirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by unexplained
    Recently, I read The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Wonderful story about teen depression and suicide. I thoroughly enjoyed it and admit to weep at certain poignant scenes in the book.
    I'm a huge Jodi Picoult fan... I recently finished Plain Truth, which I think might be my new favorite book of hers. I've also had the opportunity to meet her recently, and she's just as nice and interesting as you would expect her to be from reading her books!

Tiger

Organizing my sock drawer RBmumsie's Avatar
    I just finished Sharyn McCrumb's "Ghost Riders". Slightly intense, but very good.

Just before was "The Full Cupboard of Life" by Alexander McCall Smith - I adore that series (The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency). These books take me to a completely different place and mindset - I realize how over-materialized (I know that isn't a real word) my life and attitudes are. I heartily recommend the series to anyone who wants a fresh view of life and living.
    Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History...Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Oh, RBMumsie, I'm a fairly big Sharyn McCrumb fan. But I like her because I love Appalachian literature. Have you ever read any Lee Smith?
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I don't think I've read any Lee Smith - what's the genre?

And, have you tried any of McCrumb's Elizabeth MacPherson books? Great fun!

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    ...Just before was "The Full Cupboard of Life" by Alexander McCall Smith - I adore that series (The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency). These books take me to a completely different place and mindset - I realize how over-materialized (I know that isn't a real word) my life and attitudes are. I heartily recommend the series to anyone who wants a fresh view of life and living.
    Is this a new one? I thought I'd read all of the books in the series. I love these books. You're right. Reading about the simplicity of life in Africa makes me realize how much I take for granted.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by RBmumsie
    I don't think I've read any Lee Smith - what's the genre?

And, have you tried any of McCrumb's Elizabeth MacPherson books? Great fun!
    I did read a few of the MacPherson books, and enjoyed them.
    Lee Smith is an Appalachian writer. Novels. They're awesome. I'm biased, probably, because I grew up relatively near where she did and so many times her characters or locations totally remind me of familiar people and places. But she has a very conversational style and is, in my opinion, a very good writer. I love all her stuff, but especially "Fair and Tender Ladies," "Saving Grace" and "Oral History."
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    Is this a new one? I thought I'd read all of the books in the series. I love these books. You're right. Reading about the simplicity of life in Africa makes me realize how much I take for granted.
    Yes, The Full Cupboard of Life just came out in hardback. Such a wonderful style of writing - but the contrast in life styles is what keeps me riveted.

Lee Smith's books sound like something that I would enjoy, Dinahann. I'll check them out. Thanks!

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    I just finished 1984 and I absolutely loved it! The ending was horrible but it was definitely the right way to end a thoughtful book!
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

I just got through reading The Eyre Affair by Japer Fford and I loved, loved, loved it! thanks for the recommendation, Lucy!

For those of you who may be interested it is an excellent read, full of sly wit and literary "inside allusions". The setting is an alternate London where fictional literary charactors slide in and out of books, Shakespeares' Richard III is staged nightly and The Cheshire Cat is a local bar, complete with a neon disappearing cat.

I most enjoyed the charactor names: the protagonist is Thursday Next, her assistant is Paige Turner, the bad guy is Acheron Hades and the cast of charactors includes Jack Schitt, Victor Analogy and Braxton Hicks.

The alternative ending to Jane Eyre slipped by me at first. I kept thinking "that just doesn't sound right" but it's been a long time since I've read it so I thought I just didn't remember the ending.

Now I can't wait to find and read the other books in the series:The Well of Lost Plots: a Thursday Next Novel, Lost in a Good Book, and Something's Rotten.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

+ Reply to Thread