+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    Oh no I was looking forward to reading Blowfly. So far, I've really enjoyed all the Kay Scarpetta books.
    Jewelsy - I won't give away the big "surprise" (which made me furious), but what really, really made this book suck: no forensics or even an autopsy, a case we've been following for the previous two books that doesn't get any more interesting by the third (and Kay has only a minimal - I do mean minimal - role in the case at all at this point), plot twists that are simply too unbelievable, so many characters that end up being related to each other that you need a flow chart and worst of all, Kay has become...

a self-pitying whiner.

I won't even tell you what horrors Cornwell has done to poor Lucy and a certain other character who shall remain nameless but who managed to go from hero to zero in the span of about two pages early on in the book.

Bleh. I was so upset by reading this, the second I forced my way to the end, it went right to my sister-in-law, so I could inflict pain and suffering on her.

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewelsy
    I really enjoyed "The Red Tent". Great woman's biblical story without being preachy.

"The Lovely Bones" was just okay for me.
    "The Red Tent" was definitely a bigger story, a grander theme, but "Lovely Bones" also spoke to me in its exploration of how individuals, family systems and communities deal with death and grief. I also thought she did a great job of writing in a 13-year-old's voice. Not an easy thing as a writer, I think. It was very authentic to me as she moved from the tough teen-age precocious vpice, to a child who still needs her family.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Just finished Bridget Jones's Diary. Absolutely LOVED it.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Jewels, you know there's a Bridget Jones sequel? I loved it as much as I did the first.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    No, I didn't. Very cool.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

Three Junes by Julia Glass. Not my usual kind of book. Read it for my book club. Now I just want to read it over and over again. Sort of "lovely Bones" with more maturity.

I have that one sitting on my shelf, SArose. Glad to hear it's a good read. Can't wait to find time to start it.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Odd Thomas was a very good read!
    Tess Gerritsen The Sinner is a must read. (one of my favorites)

I just read the Sisterchick books by Robin Jones Gunn and I just loved them. It's definitely a chick book, but so much fun.

I also love Ted Dekkers: Blink, Three and Black (can't wait to read the sequels Red and White -- and they are all coming out this year!!!). They are facinating suspense with a sci-fi type twist. Blink is especially good, because you also learn so much about the Middle Eastren culture. That was quite an eye opener for this Westren mindset gal.

I like Christopher Moore, very interesting subjects. Sorta Sci-fi. or at least Twilight Zone stuff, you know, everday with a bit of the weird thrown in for a twist.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

+ Reply to Thread