+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    I loved both of the Bridget Jones' Diary book. Bridget is the type of character that I associate myself with.

Recently, I read The Pact by Jodi Picoult. Wonderful story about teen depression and suicide. I thoroughly enjoyed it and admit to weep at certain poignant scenes in the book.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

I loved both Bridget Jones books. I agree that the second wasn't QUITE as entertaining as the first, but still a worthwhile read.

If you liked Bridget Jones, you'll probably also like "I Don't Know How She Does It." Very wittily written story of a working (is there really any other kind) mother in London and how she survives (and I use the word loosely) the pressures of her life.

Hmmm, I just realized that the above may have made it sound depressing, and it can be at times, but it is filled with true to life humor that any parent can appreciate.

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Mama Harold: What did you think of "Helen Keller: A Life". That sounds interesting.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I'm on my own non-fiction kick at the moment - there's not really anything new in fiction that's grabbing me. I don't even know why I picked them up, but I just finished three books by Alison Weir (The Six Wives of Henry VIII, Elizabeth I, The Children of Henry VIII) and started a couple by Antonia Fraser (Marie Antoinette: The Journey and Mary, Queen of Scots). All of them are excellent and much, much more interesting than the dry history books I was forced to read in school. I like Weir's writing style so much I think I'll pick up her biography of Eleanor of Aquitane next.

And I'm waiting impatiently for the next Laurell K. Hamilton (in the Anita Blake series) and the 9th Stephanie Plum book by Janet Evanovich. And where's the next Sue Grafton, now that I think about it?

I also read "Blowfly" by Patricia Cornwell, just because I'm a glutton for punishment and I've read all the others. God, it completely and utterly sucked. If ever a book was the death knell of a character, this was it for Scarpetta.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

(he's my current obsession )
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fan
    So glad I found this thread (I work in a bookstore, and it's so reassuring that, yes, people do still read).

The last two books the I really devoured were "Secret Life of Bees" and "The Red Tent". Oh, also "The Lovely Bones". I just finished "I, Lucifer" (entertaining, but forgettable) and "The Strange Incident of the Dog at Night" (an interesting idea creatively and well done).

I now find myself on a biography binge. I am enjoying the journals of Ernest Shackleton, captain of the Endurance, amongst others.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    I just bought a book today "Why Girls are Weird" - by Pamela Ribon - I didn't know until after I got home that the author is a member of the television without pity forum. I'm on chapter 5 - hilarious so far. If you like 'single chick lit' you'll love it.

Last few books I've read were:

Sex & The City - I had to read it again when I went in to a week long depression over the show ending.

Man & Boy - Tony Parsons - sweet story set in London about a newly divorced single dad.

Girls' Poker Night - Jill Davis - more single chick lit - I bought this one because she is/was a writer for the letterman show and I knew it would be funny.

The Devil Wears Prada - for the 2nd time - because it's so funny and I didn't have anything else to read.

I've read all the Dan Browns in the last 6 months. The best one after Da Vinci is Deception Point. Angels & Demons is a little disappointing. Digital Fortress is better.
    Last edited by AmandaFabulous; 03-27-2004 at 06:47 PM.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Im just not that into you AmandaFabulous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I loved it. And unlike Raindance and Sweetpea, I loved the second one as well. I liked it in part for the writing, and in part because I related rather too well to Bridget.
    me too, me too, and me too Lucy!

Bridget & Helen Fielding opened the floodgates for chick lit authors.
    Look, I love me most...If I could run across the beach into my own arms, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by pink_princess
    I also read "Blowfly" by Patricia Cornwell, just because I'm a glutton for punishment and I've read all the others. God, it completely and utterly sucked. If ever a book was the death knell of a character, this was it for Scarpetta.
    Oh no I was looking forward to reading Blowfly. So far, I've really enjoyed all the Kay Scarpetta books.

Bama -- out of all the Dan Brown books I've read, "Digital Fortress" was my favorite (even more than Di Vinci Code). Haven't read "Deception Point" yet.

Quote Originally Posted by libra4
    The last two books the I really devoured were "Secret Life of Bees" and "The Red Tent". Oh, also "The Lovely Bones". I just finished "I, Lucifer" (entertaining, but forgettable) and "The Strange Incident of the Dog at Night" (an interesting idea creatively and well done).
    I really enjoyed "The Red Tent". Great woman's biblical story without being preachy.

"The Lovely Bones" was just okay for me.

+ Reply to Thread