+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    Thanks Paulie!!! Let's hope this doesn't prompt you to take my gift back to the store, but here it goes:

I'm reading "From a Buick 8" by Steven King (which I got for my birthday ) It's apparently one of the last books he's going to write, other than to finish up the Dark Tower series. The day I finish his last book is going to be a sad one for me - I've been reading his novels for over 20 years - nobody tells a story better.

Oh, now that's sad. I'm a huge King fan. When I heard he had pneumonia my first thought was "please don't die before the Dark Tower series is done!"

I've been on a King bender lately. Read Wizard and Glass again so I could start Wolves of Calla and remember where the story was. After Wolves, I read Everything's Eventual, which is a really nice short story collection. I ordered Black House (w/Peter Straub) from eBay, and while waiting for that, I'm reading Night Shift for the umpteenth time.

I've got Middlesex on deck, and after that will be the DaVinci Code. Man... I read a lot! This has all occured in like a 5 week period!

How did Buick 8 turn out?
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

FORT Fogey
    I have just finished LOTR after 1 week of reading. I tried to read it before the movies came out, but there were just so many names I couldn't keep up. After watching all of the movies, I really can keep everyone and everything in order. Do I prefer the movies to the books? Yes, because I love to look at all the hotties, but I like the book too because I can picture them in my head

I just read "The Five People You Meet in Heaven" by Mitch Albom (author of "Tuesdays with Morrie"). This was a wonderful quick read. It even made me cry.
    Who shot who in the what now?

Read in the past three months (in order from earliest to latest):

Yann Martel - "Life of Pi" (Novel)
    Barbara Gowdy - "The White Bone" (Novel)
    Lan Cao - "Monkey Bridge" (Novel)
    Tibor Fischer - "The Thought Gang" (Novel)
    Octavio Paz - "Eagle or Sun?" (Prose poetry)
    Jonathan Franzen - "The Corrections" (Novel)
    Ha Jin - "Waiting" (Novel)

Will be reading for the next two weeks:

Don DeLillo - "Underworld" (Novel)

I'm reading "The Solomon Sisters Wise Up" by Melissa Senate. I bought it for no apparent reason, a bookstore at the mall (B Dalton) is closing so everything was 50% off and this was one of the books I grabbed.
    I love it. It's very very light reading but it's good, I started reading yesterday and I'm about half way through. She has another book called "See Jane Date" that I may need to read.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I just finished "Oryx and Crake" by Margaret Atwood. Excellent read, but then everything by Atwood is NOT a light read, it's very bleak like Handmaid's Tale. It is basically about a killer virus that wipes out almost everyone (sounds like the movie 28 days, but there's a twist) except the protaganist Snowman, and some mysterious people called the Crakers. It's written in Atwood's usual style, switching back and forth between the protaganist's current state and past events. And like Handmaid's Tale, it's set in the (near?) future. A lot of subtle wit in how she sets up her hypothetical world. Hopefully they won't wreck it like Handmaid's Tale and turn it into a silly movie.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I read Oryx & Crake recently too and liked it.

Totoro, I loved Middlesex...hope you will too.

I'm currently listening to Firefly Beach by jane Smiley. It's pretty good, a little cheesy in parts...but decent.

I have "The Three Junes" on my list next.

"The Three Junes" is on my list too MollyRose.
    Who shot who in the what now?

I have to recommend "The Final Confession of Mabel Stark" by Robert Hough. I read it a few months ago; it was an awesome, interesting read. Hough took a real woman -- Mabel Stark, a woman tiger tamer in the circus heyday of the 1910's and 20's -- researched her and then novelized her life. Here's an edited description from Amazon (edited because it was too long):

In the 1910s and '20s, during the golden age of the big top, Mabel Stark was the superstar of the Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus, and one of America's most eccentric celebrities. A tiny, curvaceous Kentucky blonde in a white leather bodysuit, Mabel was brazen, sexually adventurous, and suicidally courageous. The Final Confession of Mabel Stark is Robert Hough's brilliant, highly acclaimed novelization of her fantastic life. It is 1968 - Mabel is just turning eighty and is about to lose her job at Jungleland, a Southern California game park. Devastated by the loss of her cats, she looks back on her life and her five husbands: the fifth would one day be tragically mauled by her one true love, her ferocious yet amorous 550-pound Bengal tiger Rajah. Starting with her escape from a mental institution to begin her circus career as a burlesque dancer, Mabel's exquisitely voiced confession is a live wire of dark secrets, broken dreams, and comic escapades.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

The Truth Is Out There ixcrisxi's Avatar
    Well, I just finished The Three Musketeers!

I'd have to say that it was an awesome book to read. I loved it despite my constant references to my spark notes or cliff notes. The book had a lot of great references in the back to help me understand it, too. I thinkthat the language is magnifique! It had a lot of thrills and history integrated into it. I love the almost unnoticeable switch from the third to the first person (vice verse) in his writing, also.
    MULDER: It's still there, Scully. 200,000 years down in the ice.

SCULLY:
    Leave it there.

+ Reply to Thread