+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Read Anything Good Lately?

I just completed reading Flyboys by James Bradley. ISBN 0-316-10584-8

Honest, hard hitting investigative account of Army Air Corp and Navy flight crews during the Pacific conflict in World War II. Detailed account of the actual events of several of the unknown air battles late in the war with Japan. Fairly graphic, but not to the point of repugnancy; this book, with some toning, could make a very good textbook.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

I forgot to mention that I finished Dan Brown's "Deception Point". Interesting twist, and it was scientifically interesting. I'm beginning to realize that I'm not really a big Dan Brown fan, I guess.

I just started Vince Flynn's "The Third Option". It's 3 years old, but I'm behind on my VF reading list.

FORT Fogey
    John, I love VF books and read them the day they come out! I love Mitch Rapp!!! I am always looking for people I think should be cast as him in a movie! Wish they would make a couple of his books into movies.. hmmm. Enjoy! I have only read two of Dan Browns books now and I am not sure I like his formula.

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    I just finished something called The Descent by Jeff Long.

Not a bad little page turner if you like that sort of thing.

-Randy

One of my favorite books of all time is "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet. He normally writes spy thrillers ("The Key To Rebecca, and Eye of the Needle), but this is a huge historical novel following several families durring the building of a Cathedral in 12th Century England.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

I just finished Ring by Koji Susuki, otherwise known as the book that "started it all" with the Ring movie series. I read some customer reviews on amazon.com that the book was very poorly translated, but when I read it, it was just fine to me.

I feel that Ring is a book worth reading, as when I began this afternoon I simply couldn't put it down for more than 3 minutes. I only do this with books that really pull me in to the story, and Ring is one of them. Great book.

FORT Fogey
    I just finished reading "The Elegant Gathering of White Snows"
    by Kris Radish. It is about a group of women who just decide to leave it all behind and start walking one day. Definately a chick book, but very profound and insightful in some places.

I'm re-reading Clive Barker's "Weaveworld". Gory but entertaining.
    I'm waiting patiently for Xmas - I'm pretty sure the new Margaret Atwood is under the tree for me.
    Anyone read the new Donna Tartt? If it's anywhere near as good as The Secret History, I'll shell out for the hardcover.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I just finished reading Endurance by Alfred Lansing. Very good account of Ernest Shackleton and his crew, surviving the wreck of the Endurance and the harsh climate they were trapped in. Very interesting book!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Harry
    I just finished reading Endurance by Alfred Lansing. Very good account of Ernest Shackleton and his crew, surviving the wreck of the Endurance and the harsh climate they were trapped in. Very interesting book!

I found the book extremely spellbinding. The fact that the crew that sailed away from the island in a small uncovered boat hoping to intersect with an island 800 miles away without the aid of major navigational aids and were successful, was a feat that has yet to be matched. (IMHO)

I also found the depressing account of the climb over the ridge when they DID happen to land on South Georgia Island was mesmerizing!
    Last edited by Blue Meanie; 11-25-2003 at 02:36 AM.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

+ Reply to Thread