+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Alice Sebold - "Lucky"

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar

Alice Sebold - "Lucky"

I'm reading this book. Anyone who read it who want to discuss about the book?

You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

FORT Fogey
    It was good to hear her own experiences. I am from such a close family that it is hard to hear about how wacky her own family is though.

I read this book also. It was quite different from The Lovely Bones. I found it also a difficult read because my roommate in college went through almost the exact same experience, although sadly they never found her rapist or convicted him.
    Who shot who in the what now?

can i have your heart? unexplained's Avatar
    It got realising how dangerous and violent the world is.
    You select the person you want to be with, and then you let that person have the opportunity to select you. -Shayla

"The mind is its own place, and in it, self can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n." -John Milton, Paradise Lost.

can't get enough ANTM guillermoluvsme's Avatar
    This book was one of the best I have read. It really does make you think and it was hard to get thru the first few chapters, but it sure made me feel like a stronger woman because I read it. I also think it makes me more aware of my surroundings.

It just came yesterday from Amazon.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I read Lucky last fall and liked it a lot. I usually don't go for autobiographies, especially when they depict something horrible that has happened to the author, but this one was different. Like her brilliant novel The Lovely Bones, she manages to write about incredibly difficult things without getting into the gory details of it. Ultimately, it's a story of survival, family (although I agree that her family is a bit wacky) and love - very much like The Lovely Bones.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

I read the synopsis for this and thought I would read it. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. I do like autobiographies unless they're filled with fluff, and I doubt that this one is.

I DID read The Lovely Bones, and it was such an emotional experience for me I've never picked it up again. It was well written but sooo sad.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I have just read this book for the third time. Unfortunately, I can relate to it some ways. Very powerful book to read.

+ Reply to Thread