+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Left Behind series

I'm half done with Glorious Appearing.

I've recently been hooked on this series. I read through book four in about week. I couldn't put them down. Now I'm going to take a break and read some other stuff for a while.

I've read every one of these books, and I agree that the dialog has gradually been "dumbed" down. I couldn't quit reading, however. The thing that's different about "Glorious Appearing" is that so much of the dialog (All of Jesus's) is a direct quote from the Bible. I can see why they wrote it that way, but I expected a little more. I did like the concept, however. But there's going to be ANOTHER one? I started out thinking this was a cool concept for proselytizing but now I think they're just trying to make a buck, which is rather discouraging, given the content of the books.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I LOVE this series....the only bad thing is when a new book comes out, I read it in a day and then I have to wait an agonizing time until the next one comes out....I seriously do read the books in a day...I become completely obsessed reading these (the only other books I have been like that with have been Stephen King books and the Green Mile books) I have sat up all night reading cause I couldn't stand to put it down, I've read a couple of lines while sitting at red lights (yeah, I know that's bad), I read on the potty until my butt falls asleep and I feel like I have a permanent ring around the ole bootie (Yeah, I know...TMI )
    LaHaye and Jenkins have started a new series with the storyline taking place before the Rapture. The first book is called "The Rising". Here's what's listed on the inside binder cover:
    Marilena Carpathia has only one dream: to be a mother. So when a mysterious clairvoyant promises the fulfillment of this dream, Marilena does not hesitate. Through genetic engineering and the power of the prince of darkness himself, Marilena is about to become a chosen vessel, one will unknowingly give birth to the greatest evil the world has ever known. Halfway around the world, God's plans are subtly being carried out too. Young Ray Steele is determined to avoid one day taking over the family business. Instead, Rays sets his heart on becoming a pilot. Soon Carpathia's and Steele's lives will intersect. And good and evil will clash in an explosion that will shake the world. The eternal battle for souls has come to earth. The world hurtles toward the countdown to the Rapture.
    Back Cover: The Rising is the first book in the Countdown to the Rapture.

I've just gotten this book and I've had to make myself put this book up until my son's All-Star baseball season is over with. Its killing me tho!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I read The Rising when it first came out; got it from my favorite place - the local library. It was pretty good if you've read the Left Behind series, otherwise you'd be lost. I'm just not as interested in this set as I was in the first, I guess because of the way they strung out the first series, which realistically could've been compressed into half a dozen books. I think by the end the books were encompassing what, about half a day?
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by Dinahann
    I read The Rising when it first came out; got it from my favorite place - the local library. It was pretty good if you've read the Left Behind series, otherwise you'd be lost. I'm just not as interested in this set as I was in the first, I guess because of the way they strung out the first series, which realistically could've been compressed into half a dozen books. I think by the end the books were encompassing what, about half a day?
    Yeah, or they had skipped several months. I didn't even bother with the last book. The authors seemed to get bored about halfway through.

I made it about midway through the first book before setting it aside for something more entertaining to me.

The most notably satisfying part of the book to me rregarded those that considered themselves believers who'd missed the actual mark.

I was less interested in the character development than what else might be occurring and found myself skipping forward pages at a time. I expect that at some point I'll pick it up again, but probably when all my other books have been transported elsewhere. The authors writing style wasn't dynamic enough (to me) to bridge the gap created by less than alot of interest in the topic at hand.

I consider myself one of the lucky ones that got interested in this series about the time the 2nd to last came out so that by the time I got caught up I only had to wait a few months for the last one. And I got almost all of them at the Half Price book stores and you can't beat a bargain like that. I really enjoyed all the books even tho sometimes it was difficult to keep up with who was who.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234