+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 38

Thread: Left Behind series

  1. #11
    Premium Member Bumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Snarksville
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,294
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    What other books would you suggest I read to help me with my *thinking*?
    Frank Peretti has a great series beginning with "This Present Darkness" that is a great read. I think two other books followed in the series. These first came out in the 80s, but I just began rereading "this present Darkness" again and it doesn't seem dated at all.

  2. #12
    That's all folks! Unklescott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Dublin, OH
    Posts
    26,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Frank Peretti has a great series beginning with "This Present Darkness" that is a great read. I think two other books followed in the series. These first came out in the 80s, but I just began rereading "this present Darkness" again and it doesn't seem dated at all.
    Thanks, I'll check them out. Another Tennessean eh? I was born and raised in Nashville. I'll be back home the week after next for a high school reunion. Love the south!

  3. #13
    They're so cute! brenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    354
    I really enjoyed the first couple of books in this series. I was interested in them for their Biblical interpretations though. I agree with Wayner that the writing is not actually exceptionally good. However, as the series has progressed (I think that I got half way through number 10) I found that the focus was more on the characters than biblical foundation. I just haven't found the writing of the book to be good enough to pick up the slack and hold my interest.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

  4. #14
    Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    735
    I started reading this series a couple of years ago. I hate waiting for the next one to come out, and was floored by the cliffhanger in Armageddon. I will probably start from the first book early next year and read all of them again before the last one comes out.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

  5. #15
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,147
    Quote Originally Posted by realityluver
    I started reading this series a couple of years ago. I hate waiting for the next one to come out, and was floored by the cliffhanger in Armageddon. I will probably start from the first book early next year and read all of them again before the last one comes out.
    That cliffhanger made me so mad that I had to turn the book over and yell at the authors. I don't think they heard me, though.

  6. #16
    Premium Member Bumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Snarksville
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,294
    Brenna -- it's interesting to see you and so many others comment on the writing. Jenkins has ghostwritten a number of books over the years, (mostly sports related, I think .. but that's just from memory, so don't quote me) and seems to be a very talented guy.

    In the long term, tho, I have wondered how the pairing of Jenkins with Tim LaHaye has worked. The theology is all from LaHaye - it's up to Jenkins to translate that into a storyline.

    On an emotional level, I agree. I haven't been as challenged by the last few installments. And I feel a bit resentful - because these are some of the few books I will break down and buy in hardcover when they are issued.

    I think I've noticed the books being 'dumbed down' over the series. The first two were more intriguing. But especially with the last two in the series, I've noticed the type and margins getting bigger, the sentance structure and 'voice' becoming more simplistic.

    My thinking is that the changes we have seen in the series are driving by the publisher. With the incredible success of the first few, they have probably coached the team to have a 'wider' appeal. And to present their subject in a way that appeals to non-believers.

    Quote Originally Posted by brenna
    I really enjoyed the first couple of books in this series. I was interested in them for their Biblical interpretations though. I agree with Wayner that the writing is not actually exceptionally good.

  7. #17
    Premium Member Bumpkin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Snarksville
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,294
    Okay - one more thing. For those of you interested in end-time prophecy and theology - this is a great site:

    www.raptureready.com

    It has an index of events which are scored by happenings in the news, and gives excellent reviews of the leading voices in prophecy. (my spelling is off tonight - forgive me)

    It will also give a good explaination of the different views of end-time prophecy, and will explain the assumptions Tim LaHaye has used in forming the Left Behind series. (Based on literal translations of the Bible)

  8. #18
    Bopping to my own beat! realityluver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    735
    Quote Originally Posted by dagwood
    That cliffhanger made me so mad that I had to turn the book over and yell at the authors. I don't think they heard me, though.
    My friend said her husband slammed the book shut and stormed out of the room.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpkin
    Okay - one more thing. For those of you interested in end-time prophecy and theology - this is a great site:

    www.raptureready.com

    It has an index of events which are scored by happenings in the news, and gives excellent reviews of the leading voices in prophecy. (my spelling is off tonight - forgive me)

    It will also give a good explaination of the different views of end-time prophecy, and will explain the assumptions Tim LaHaye has used in forming the Left Behind series. (Based on literal translations of the Bible)
    Thanks for that website.
    Phenomenal woman... that's me!!!

  9. #19
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,147
    Quote Originally Posted by realityluver
    My friend said her husband slammed the book shut and stormed out of the room.
    Glad I am not the only one that had that sort of reaction.

  10. #20
    They're so cute! brenna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    354
    man! now I might have to force myself to plod my way through to see what this cliffhanger is. I haven't read them in so long though. I don't remember anyone's name, or who's even alive anymore. They all keep droping like flies!!
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.