+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intercollegiate Studies Institute's 50 Worst Non-Fiction Books of the Century

ISI was founded in 1953 to further in successive generations of American college youth a better understanding of the economic, political, and spiritual values that sustain a free and virtuous society.
    Based on this list, I'd say they mean free of big government, income taxes (who needs infrastructure anyway), political dissent, and any sexual choice other than abstinence until marriage (which is of course only between one man and one woman).

I pretty much said a mental "f**k you" to their list once I reached their evaluation of Huxley's The Doors of Perception.

And then I read the bits about Christianity and Wilson and sex and communism and Reagan and thought...AHA!

That said, it's sort of funny in a mean way. And there are kernels of truth in there, somewhere. But geez...worst non-fiction books of the 20th century? If those were all that they came up with, I'd say they were pretty lucky in what they read.

Quote Originally Posted by Mariner
    Based on this list, I'd say they mean free of big government, income taxes (who needs infrastructure anyway), political dissent, and any sexual choice other than abstinence until marriage (which is of course only between one man and one woman).
    Exactly what I thought as I read over this list...at first I found it intriguing, then disturbing, and then I just began to dismiss it all.

My big complaint with the list is that I did read several of these books in college, and it wasn't like we sat around and agreed with everything contained in them...many of these titles are influential just because they get you talking about, not necessarily agreeing with, the issues they bring forward. (Although I do agree with some of the theories contained in some of these titles!)

This group must think that the "liberal" American universities are turning out a bunch of toadies who can't think independently.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12