+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: The Stand/Stephen King

Thanks, Phat! You are sweet.

I really love how passionate everyone is here about this and the lively discussion! It is great! You've given me a real reason to think hard before I post on this subject, which I appreciate.

Most of King's writings, at their core, have to do with the struggle between good and evil and the temptations people face. Many of his books even have a quite religious tone to them. At its heart, "The Stand" is not only apocalyptic in nature, but also brings up serious questions. What is it to be a human being and true to oneself and true to one's community? What is faith? What would you do if you had nothing left to lose - or to gain? Would you still have faith in the God of your choosing?

King does a masterful job of placing ordinary people in extraordinary situations. Along with the main story line of the end of civilization, which by the way has become more realistic now, not by Captain Trips but by terrorism, WMD and anthrax, he places a love story between Stu and Frannie, and he writes about people who are weak and succumb as well as the people who are strong enough to carry on and rebuild a civilization that has crumbled; and he posits a very serious scenario of what could happen if the worst should happen.

Diahann speaks of people who gravitate toward powerful leaders, and her point is valid. Can anyone say "Nazi"? Honorable German citizens did horrible acts, which would have been unthinkable for them prior to Hitler. But they followed a charismatic leader much as Flagg's followers do.

Lloyd Henried breaks my heart. He knows he is following the wrong leader, though he aches to follow the right one. He would have been a soldier for the Lord if things had gone differently for him. He makes a conscious choice to follow Flagg, and he ultimately breaks his own heart. He could have been a good man - he was this close. Miguel Ferrer is perfect for this role as a man torn between choices.

I do not agree that Americans would go to a theocratic government. I think America would be fractured into small governments, if the worst happened.

King will never write a sequel. He had to be almost forced by his publisher and fans into finishing the "Dark Tower" series. Once he's done, he's done.

King has always managed to write horror books with extraordinary emotion. To me, his books are memorable, and in the can't-put-down category. I have read other horror authors, such as Dean Koontz, and those books go in one ear and out the other. I couldn't remember them or their characters on a bet. But I bet you I could tell you every plot and most characters of any King book. They are not desert island books - those are reserved for Cheever and Helprin - but King is always good for a late night read, and memorable. Wonderful for a winter night as the snow swirls outside, with a glass of red wine, in a reading chair under a lamp, while the cat curls up on your feet.

And on that note, I will take my leave. The iguana needs his bath; and I need sleep.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    To anyone that may want to know....Sci Fi channel is running the full 8 hour showing of "The Stand" today. It started here at 2:00 CST. I just now caught it so I've missed the first 3 hours but that's OK...I'll still watch it!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

an empty nest, and not liking it one dang bit!
    I re-read the Stand and Swan Song every couple years. I get the Flu EVERY stinking time I read the stand - every time! Son thinks it is hysterical! Love both books. Hated the mini series but i watched every minute of it and years later bought the dvd thinking it would be better - nope still sucked but the music is great. My son won't take the time to read the book but did watch all umpteen million hours of the dvd and ....loved it! poor kid has no taste!

I'm trying to get my son to read it. First I have to wean him off of Dean Koontz. I admit I got him started on that.

I'm also going to try to get him to read the Dark Tower series. The only one of those I don't have is The Gunslinger and ordered that yesterday from Amazon.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD
    I just rewatched Storm of the Century last weekend. This weekend, the Langoliers was on. I couldn't watch, too long. I invested too much time in Storm of the Century last week. Recently rewatched the Stand again. By far my favorite of his books even though the miniseries was ok (I don't like Molly Ringwald)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by eldee;279819;
    If you like the stand, you might try Dean Koontz's Swan Song.

eldee I was reading these posts and thinking about posting about Swan Song for The Stand fans. They are similar aren't they?

Swan Song is one of my all time favorite books. I liked The Stand a lot but, Swan Song had an affect on me The Stand did not.

one of my girlfriends gave me Swan Song after she had read it a few times over the years. She said it gave her nightmares but, she loved it anyway. I read it and could not put it down and I too got nightmares. I passed it on to someone and they had nightmares. Every person that read it felt the same creeped out way. Everyone got nightmares too. I thought the book was cursed !! Anyway, I think I posted it under my favorite book and didn't have the author's name down. I knew it was not Dean Koontz so I looked it up.

Here is a link:

Amazon.com: Swan Song: Books: Robert McCammon

Thanks for the link JamiLee. I'm going to check it out.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678