+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Stand/Stephen King

Hey i was thinking in the Calla thread, we should start each post with the chapter we are on/discussing, that way if you havn't reached that chapter yet, don't read it, no spoilers. I've seen other book discussions work that way, and it's a nice system.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by MollyRose
    Every time I'm on a road trip in the middle of nowhere, I half expect to see people walking toward Colorado!
    Me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by eny
    Molly I'm the same way when I drive down a road with no other cars on it.Especially if it's a road that usually has lots of them.
    Yup!

Quote Originally Posted by BravoFan
    ...I thought it was just fantastic, and every time I see a black crow I think about it!
    !!!

It's amazing how much a written book can imbue our thoughts with images of people and things we've never seen.

Yesterday afternoon I was driving along an isolated stretch of an old farm-to market road, and as the car curved around the winding road, hidden by trees ahead, I pictured Dana and the other women standing by a station wagon with a flat tire. Just a split second flash.

And sometimes when I'm driving toward a tunnel I think about Larry walking through it in the dark....

It's kind of spooky, huh?

By the way, I travel a lot.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

eny
    FORT Fogey
    Great to see this thread revived Dinahann, and know we aren't the only ones ! I think this book was so good because it left such a lasting impression on those who read it. I have read lots of books that I can barely remember six months later . This one I can still practically quote from even though I probably haven't read it in 10 yrs.

The SARS did scare the crap out of me last year , for no other reason than I though - oh boy , here we go.

Yes, there are some books that I re-read over and over again, and "The Stand" is one of my all time favorites. I think one of the reasons that I like it so much is that Stephen King makes the most unimaginable horror seem survivable... I wonder how many people thought about Captain Trips when the SARS outbreak began last year.

I think Stephen King is one of the most under-appreciated writers of the twentieth century because his work is so accessible. You don't have to be a genius to enjoy it, so it's oftentimes devalued by critics. But for me, he's the Mark Twain of the twentieth century.

The SARS did scare the crap out of me last year , for no other reason than I though - oh boy , here we go.
    I remember thinking the same thing. Oh-oh, Captain Trips. The Stand is one of my favorite books. But for those of you who didn't like it that well, you're in good company. I read that it wasn't one of Stephen King's favorites either.

I thought the movie was ok. I almost didn't watch it though, because I have read The Stand a couple of times and when I read a book, I imagine the characters in my head. Then when it comes out as a movie, the actors are NEVER the same as I pictured them in my imagination. Except for Tom Cullen. I can't remember the actors name, but I thought he was perfect for the part. And I grew to like Gary Sinise as Stu. (maybe because I think he's kind of hot ) But Molly Ringwald? :phhht
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

I read an interview with Stephen King wherein he said he saw specific actors as characters while he was writing the book. He saw Rutger Hauer (I've probably spelled it wrong) as the Dark Man and Bruce Springsteen as Larry.

I'm SURE he did NOT see Molly Ringwald as Franny. No offense to Ms. Ringwald - I loved her in sixteen candles- but IMO she was not Franny to me.

I also liked Gary Sinese as Stu, although I pictured Stu as a younger man in my head; I'm not sure why. Ray Walston was inspired casting as Glenn, but I did not care for what's his name with the huge face that played the Dark Man. And remember that guy that played Trash Can Man? He was "Max Headroom" in that 80's show.

I was disappointed in the movie, but of course I still watched it (more than once, as you can probably tell ). Overall it wasn't bad, I just think it's usually disappointing to see on film something so horrible that you've pictured in your head - I find my imagination is usually better than anything a made-for-TV movie can dish out.

I think the guy who played Flagg was Jamie Sheridan. But I never saw him as the Dark Man, even after watching the whole movie, (more than once, like you! ) I think if the person is a good enough actor, they can make the character their own. Like in Shawshank Redemption. If I remember correctly, the character Red, was called that because he had red hair. But he was played by Morgan Freeman who did a tremendous job and I never had any trouble at all inserting him into my minds eye of who the characters were.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit
    I think the guy who played Flagg was Jamie Sheridan. But I never saw him as the Dark Man, even after watching the whole movie, (more than once, like you! ) I think if the person is a good enough actor, they can make the character their own. Like in Shawshank Redemption. If I remember correctly, the character Red, was called that because he had red hair. But he was played by Morgan Freeman who did a tremendous job and I never had any trouble at all inserting him into my minds eye of who the characters were.
    You're right. Morgan Freeman was inspired casting for Red, very believable. I loved that movie, and it's one of the few Stephen King books IMO that translates well into a movie, along with "The Body", for reasons that MHayes62 discussed in the second page of this thread.

Love your tag-line BTW. I'm a Dave Barry fan, too!

I think this book was so good because it left such a lasting impression on those who read it. I have read lots of books that I can barely remember six months later . This one I can still practically quote from even though I probably haven't read it in 10 yrs.

Well, I don't think I can't quote any of the lines , but this book , the Stand, definitely made an impression on me. It's one of my favorites book.

The made-for-tv movie wasn't that great, but it had it's good moments.

M O O N

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    I finished the book a month ago. Oh man it was awesome. After I finished the book I noticed everyone sneezing and coughing and I was like... oh crap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast